engine install in 81 malibu

Status
Not open for further replies.

denny

Master Mechanic
Feb 4, 2017
got some good weather here in central ohio and decided to install my small block into my 81 malibu. the header bolts are so easy to get to on the engine stand and was wondering if that sbc will go into the engine bay with the headers installed. i disconnected them when i removed it but did not pay attention whether i had to or not. just assumed they had to be removed when removing the engine. thanks, Denny

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
If you have long tube headers, the best method is to bungee then in the engine bay, then bolt em on. Unfortunately, I've never seen a full tube go in with the engine. Mid lengths, shortys, and oem manifolds are no problem....but the full headers are a different ballgame!

A little tip if you don't have one already, take a wrench the size of the header bolt (usually 3/8" head if arp) and cut the wrench in half. It allows you to get onto those rear bolts easier.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Ditto Cutty

IMG_4725.JPG

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Flowtech small block Chevy long tubes will go in from the bottom with the engine in place. It is much easier if you massage the body seem near the bell housing with a large blunt object like a hammer. It will make the rear of the header flange have more room for install and add more room for access to bell housing bolts.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Flowtech small block Chevy long tubes will go in from the bottom with the engine in place. It is much easier if you massage the body seem near the bell housing with a large blunt object like a hammer. It will make the rear of the header flange have more room for install and add more room for access to bell housing bolts.
Agreed, when i had my hooker comp long tubes they had to go in from the bottom with the car raised quite a bit....that's why i suggested doing the bungee trick as lilbowtie showed a pic of. As you know, it saves the headache of fighting the headers in, or using a BFH for persuasion.

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I agree with the bungee cord or straps to hold the headers in place.

All of the above is easier with the body seem massaged down flatter.

• Agree

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Ratchet Wrenches help a ton.

mobileaudio25

G-Body Guru
Jan 12, 2012
columbus, ohio
Where are you located in central Ohio? I'm in columbus, I have an 80 Malibu . Not too many of them around here !
My long tubers were a little bit of a pain even just getting them in with the engine already installed... good luck with the install

denny

Master Mechanic
Feb 4, 2017
Where are you located in central Ohio? I'm in columbus, I have an 80 Malibu . Not too many of them around here !
My long tubers were a little bit of a pain even just getting them in with the engine already installed... good luck with the install
i'm in carroll ohio 43112 just about 22 miles south of you. raced a 70 for years at national trail

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor