Engine keeps stalling out if idles to long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jims442

Greasemonkey
Dec 2, 2019
Connecticut
Good morning G body buddies. My engine seems to be stalling if I let it idle to long. Like if i'm in traffic for more then 15 minutes and it's stop and go.The car will just shut off. It will start back up fairly quickly if I don't hit the gas first. Now the only thing iv'e done since this started happening was removed 1 spring from the carb because my pedal was to stiff , maybe coincidence but before that it didn't happen. Although that doesn't make sense to me but that's why I'm looking for some help on what I should do. I'm not sure about the build on the motor. What I do know is it's a 355 it has a 144 weiand blower holley carb ,intake and heads and definitely has a decent cam. Ty Jim. PS no I haven't tried to put the spring back on.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
did you put the spring back on to see if it was just a coincidence?...... :popcorn:

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Jims442

Greasemonkey
Dec 2, 2019
Connecticut
did you put the spring back on to see if it was just a coincidence?...... :popcorn:
Yes put the spring back on and it still happens. Pryor to removing spring I really never was stuck in traffic. I'm thinking because of the blower set up she runs really rich. Could my plugs be getting fouled? Or is that normal with these motors that are juiced up lol.???

Reactions: 1 user

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
Yes put the spring back on and it still happens. Pryor to removing spring I really never was stuck in traffic. I'm thinking because of the blower set up she runs really rich. Could my plugs be getting fouled? Or is that normal with these motors that are juiced up lol.???
My cousin had a 72 Chevelle, souped up to the hilt, he had such a radical cam, that if he idled the car for any longer than 2 minutes, he would foul plugs, SOOOO Sounds like your car is "loading up" as its sitting there idling. You could try hotter plugs in it, or set the idle a little higher for starters. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 users

Jims442

Greasemonkey
Dec 2, 2019
Connecticut
My cousin had a 72 Chevelle, souped up to the hilt, he had such a radical cam, that if he idled the car for any longer than 2 minutes, he would foul plugs, SOOOO Sounds like your car is "loading up" as its sitting there idling. You could try hotter plugs in it, or set the idle a little higher for starters. Best of luck!
Ty Worth a try Any info is much appreciated .

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor