Engine Machine Work Prices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 4, 2012
I'm looking at my Buick 350 and I'm still not entirely sure how far I want to go with it, but I stopped at a machine shop today and got some prices on stuff to do a bottom end rebuild. This shop has a pretty good reputation, but this sounds on the expensive side to me. Tell me what you think. Not all of this stuff would necessarily need done, but the machinist definitely wanted to do all of it if he was going to assemble the short block.

Mag block- $50
Shot peen block- $125
Bore and Hone- $350
Deck if Needed- $200
R&R Freeze and Pipe Plugs- $50
R&R Cam Bearings- $50
Clean and Polish Crank- $150
Custom Grind Crank- $275
Recon Rods- $200
R&R Pistons and Rods- $150
Oil Pump Setup- $75
Balance Rotating Assembly- $250
Degree Cam- $125
Assemble Short Block- $375

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Unfortunately those aren't out of line, maybe a tick on the high side but once again, you get what you pay for.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
1. Junkyard LS 5.3L - $500
2. Drop in cam - $200
3. ???
4. Profit.

;)

• Winner
  • Creative
Reactions: 7 users

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada
Those prices look OK to me too,although I have never had my block magged or shot peened and I’m not sure why your shop would do that.Also,if they polish the crank there would be no need to have it custom ground.
Guy

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Nov 4, 2012
Those prices look OK to me too,although I have never had my block magged or shot peened and I’m not sure why your shop would do that.Also,if they polish the crank there would be no need to have it custom ground.
Guy

I didn't think they are astronomically out of line, but a little on the high side. Also he insisted on custom grinding the crank and instisted on magging and shot peen in the block, which I kinda didn't get.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Nov 4, 2012
The machinist I used to use is semi retired and he is pretty choosy about which jobs he does. If it isn't cake work. He usually doesn't want to do it. This is the other machine shop I know of, and it's been a while since I've had machine work done anyways.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Prices seem a bit high but in line with what most places near me charge.

Personally, I think you're thinking too much. The dude said it was a runner and I haven't seen anything so far to cause me to doubt it.
Bottle hone, new rings, gaskets, timing set, paint, haul *ss.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
do they make Buick LS 5.3"s ????.....:unsure:

Nope. But, one has to wonder why someone wants to risk a lot of capital and time on machine work? I'd be more inclined to accept the *ss-pain on a 455 given the $/hp ROI.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Nope. But, one has to wonder why someone wants to risk a lot of capital and time on machine work? I'd be more inclined to accept the *ss-pain on a 455 given the $/hp ROI.

It all depends on what he wants, it would be pretty boring in here if everyone did the most logical and economical upgrades

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor