CUTLASS Engine Oil Pan Bolt Torque

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAMES L EUBANK

Apprentice
Feb 18, 2018
CLARKSBURG, WV
1987 307 Oldsmobile Engine VIN-9. I found some oil leaks on my new purchase, so I checked the bolts and all were loose. I have a Haynes manual that says the torque on the oil pan bolts are 15 ft./lb. But, the bolts seem too small for so much torque. My engine has 13mm bolts on the front and rear corners of the pan and 10mm bolts for the rest. I didn't want to over tighten the bolts, so I just snugged them with a 1/4 ratchet. Can anyone verify the correct torque for me with a GM Service manual? Also, the engine had no leaks when purchased. Could excessive oil pressure have caused the bolts to loosen on the oil pan and valve covers? My gauge says 55-60 psi, but I can't trust the accuracy of the gauge.

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
Snug with a 1/4” ratchet is about as close as you’ll get. Any torque value that can be given will most likely destroy an old gasket. And no 55-60 psi will not loosen bolts and create a leak.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I'd use a nut driver, and snug it. 10ftlbs is generally a bit more than finger tight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor