engine problems, again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
I have this problem when i start my car it want's to die immediately.
I have to hold onto the gas to make it run, if I let go it will die, I have got it timed, adjusted and everything.
It also sounds really really rough, I hope you can hear it through the video, when I put it in D or R it just shakes a lot and sounds very nasty and rough.
I have tried everything, I hooked the electric carb up and still not wanting to open or close.

Here's the video.
http://youtu.be/yq4Azirkrw8

Hope you can hear everything and I hope I explained everything enough for you all to know what i mean and what its doing.
Thank you all in advanced, God Bless and happy new year.

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
From what I can tell it sounds like an ignition miss or poorly adjusted valves. Now I know you were just messing with the valves. What have you played with on the car since it ran fine and stopped running fine? Try to trouble shoot this back to where it was before anything was touched on it. I can't really see but from the video it doesn't look like you have a ground hooked up to your choke. If that is the case then that is why it isn't working.

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
CHRIS.O said:
From what I can tell it sounds like an ignition miss or poorly adjusted valves. Now I know you were just messing with the valves. What have you played with on the car since it ran fine and stopped running fine? Try to trouble shoot this back to where it was before anything was touched on it. I can't really see but from the video it doesn't look like you have a ground hooked up to your choke. If that is the case then that is why it isn't working.

Well all I have messed with was the valves, and even before then it wasn't running fine.
I had my moms friend come over and mess with the carb and starter it ran fine for a few days and then it just started running like this.and I touched nothing on it while it was running fine.
But now he wont return our calls and wont come back over cause he took my brand new battery and now not getting in touch with us.
He also said something about changing a piece in my alternator that has to do with sending a current voltage to the battery so the battery doesn't die out and run off the battery alone.
But that's about all I messed with on the car, and what i messed with it was running the same before I messed with it.
The ground is on the back of the carb behind the fuel line.
Would you like me to take pictures of the carb and show you everything on it, Like how its hooked up and how I ran everything?

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
1984-monte-carlo-ss said:
does it only happen on cold starts? mine does that on cold starts...305h.o. edelbrock 600cfm. i think it's the choke

It has run like this even in the summer.
I don't know what it is, its like it comes and goes.
That's what I am thinking I got everything hooked up, but I could have something wrong.

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
At one time you told me you had the choke pinned open. Does it run better with it pinned open?

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
If the choke was never hooked up at all it may need to be adjusted. For that information get on edelbrocks website and download the owners manual for your specific carb.

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
CHRIS.O said:
If the choke was never hooked up at all it may need to be adjusted. For that information get on edelbrocks website and download the owners manual for your specific carb.

I only had it pinned for start ups I never kept it open for drives or anything.
But it ran about the same honestly.
I will definitely download them now cause I know it probably needs adjusting, Thanks.

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
Re: engine problems, again. UPDATE!!

Just checked on the voltage on the carb and the connection.
Their both on and sending a strong 12v when key is turned over and off when they key is locked.
The ground is sending a good 12v as well.
But still the carb doesn't want to open.
I tried downloading the owners manual but my computer doesn't download it something about cannot recognize, so i cant see it.
Started it today and it stayed started without holding the gas for about 3 seconds then just turned off.
Its also smoking really bad from the exhaust which it has never done before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor