Engine project...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
So my friend woke me up this morning to bring me this engine he found and gave to me, I've been messing with it all day.

http://www.ems-maschinen.de/uploads/new ... G_0051.JPG (Not actual picture, but identical)

I couldn't figure out what it was at first... But a quick bit of searching the different numbers and stickers on the motor it turns out it's a clone engine of a Kubota tractor engine made for boats. It's called the "Universal Atomic Diesel" which sounds really cool to me. :lol: It's an 11 horsepower 500cc twin cylinder non turbo diesel... Problem is I think it might be seized which is a bummer. I took off the injectors an sprayed a ton of liquid wrench down in the cylinders so we'll see if that frees it up at all. Unfortunately it doesn't have a normal bell housing on it... So I can't put it on my engine stand the flywheel assembly sticks off about 3 inches and my stand will only accommodate about one and a half inches. :roll: So I'm going to probably have to take the flywheel off.

Here's what I mean. http://www.ems-maschinen.de/uploads/new ... G_0053.JPG

The thing is tiny and really cool... I hope I can get it to run but I have my doubts. :lol:

Does anyone have any ideas on where I can get some parts for this thing? I found out it's a clone of a Kubota Z500 engine but even with that info I'm having a hard time finding anything online but filters and belts and starters and crap like that. I'd be up for rebuilding it if it needs it if I can find some engine bearings and pistons and rings and injectors.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
That would probably be a pretty good powerplant for a small generator if you can save it.

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
Yeah I was thinking of using it for something like that if it can be saved. I'd just like to see it run for sh*ts and giggles because I think it's neat. If it can't be saved without spending a TON of cash on it I'm gonna part it out, the starter if it's any good has to be worth at least 50 bucks, the front timing plate I saw on eBay for 125 bucks, the head to buy a new one is over 2300 bucks so used I'd imagine you'd have to be able to get at least 400 bucks for it. New injection pump is over 1000 new so used I bet at least 200 bucks. So if I can't save it at least I can make some money off it.

I can't find an overhaul kit for it or a pan gasket or head gasket... I want to pull the head and oil pan and see what's going on in there but if I can get a new gasket that will really blow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor