Engine question - i can't identify this motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fzeed

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 3, 2022
Put a breaker bar with socket on the end of the crankshaft and gently try to rotate it. That's gonna tell you if it's frozen or free without dealing with the starter.

If it's stuck then you can worry about choosing which product you have on hand to pour into the cylinder and wait to free it up hopefully
I poured some mystery oil down each spark plug hole and let it sit for a few days. I'll try moving the crankshaft.

Fzeed

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 3, 2022
Put a breaker bar with socket on the end of the crankshaft and gently try to rotate it. That's gonna tell you if it's frozen or free without dealing with the starter.

If it's stuck then you can worry about choosing which product you have on hand to pour into the cylinder and wait to free it up hopefully
No luck, i can't feel anything to attach a socket to.

Fzeed

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 3, 2022
1965 230 CID from a 10 or 20 series pick up, 140 HP.
So if i can get this motor to turn i might keep it but i will need to replace all the externals. If i go out to buy a carb or alt etc, i would need to tell them its a '65 or '65 truck? are the externals interchangeable and if so what's the latest year i can go up to?

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
So if i can get this motor to turn i might keep it but i will need to replace all the externals. If i go out to buy a carb or alt etc, i would need to tell them its a '65 or '65 truck? are the externals interchangeable and if so what's the latest year i can go up to?
It depends.

Externally, you can add an a/c compressor and front accessories, power steering, etc all the way up to 1984 when they axed the motor.

On the intake/exhaust manifold and carb side you can only go up to the mid 1970s when they switched to an integrated head. I suppose you COUlD swap the integrated head and 2bbl on there. But why?

With the traditional head you can buy a modified intake, either tri-power monojet, dual 4bbl, or single 4bbl. But beware, without mods they can be known to run hotter in different t cylinders than others because of fuel distribution down the intake, and, thus vale wear uneven and problems down the road.

If you wanted a header you need the non-intgrated style head.

As for not feeling anything for a breaker bar. If you have front accessories and pulleys on the engine, there is a bolt going into the nose of the crankshaft that you use to gently rock the rotating assembly back and forth to try freeing it up.

Fzeed

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 3, 2022
It depends.

Externally, you can add an a/c compressor and front accessories, power steering, etc all the way up to 1984 when they axed the motor.

On the intake/exhaust manifold and carb side you can only go up to the mid 1970s when they switched to an integrated head. I suppose you COUlD swap the integrated head and 2bbl on there. But why?

With the traditional head you can buy a modified intake, either tri-power monojet, dual 4bbl, or single 4bbl. But beware, without mods they can be known to run hotter in different t cylinders than others because of fuel distribution down the intake, and, thus vale wear uneven and problems down the road.

If you wanted a header you need the non-intgrated style head.

As for not feeling anything for a breaker bar. If you have front accessories and pulleys on the engine, there is a bolt going into the nose of the crankshaft that you use to gently rock the rotating assembly back and forth to try freeing it up.
Think i might just pull the radiator out so i can take a better look. Would putting tension on the belt and moving the fan have the same effect as using a socket on the crank?

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Take pictures, the carb is likely the nova carb. The alternator is likely the nova alternator.

Fzeed

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 3, 2022

Attachments

• 20220803_233124405_iOS.jpg
    20220803_233124405_iOS.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 63
  • alt 2.jpg
    alt 2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 69
  • alt.jpg
    alt.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 70
  • carb.jpg
    carb.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 73
  • carb2.jpg
    carb2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 70
  • dizzy.jpg
    dizzy.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 70
  • power steering.jpg
    power steering.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 66

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
The carb and linkage looks like it is from the nova. Standard monojet carb.

65 PU carb looks like this, also a 1bbl.
65 230 Carb.jpg

65 alternator would be the external regulator type with the square plug in the back as opposed to the rectangular plug on the side for the internal regulator alternator which for chevy was new in 1972.

power steering pump and brackets look like they are from the nova.

Distributor is from a 78-79 Chevy 200 or 229 V6.

Nova likely had AIR.

Reactions: 1 user

Fzeed

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 3, 2022

View attachment 203964

65 alternator would be the external regulator type with the square plug in the back as opposed to the rectangular plug on the side for the internal regulator alternator which for chevy was new in 1972.

Nova likely had AIR.

View attachment 203964

Nova likely had AIR.
Good to know! Do you think i have the transmission that came with the car originally? Would they have swapped it out too? I haven't looked into that yet.
Thanks for all your help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor