Engine question - i can't identify this motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Is the trans a powerglide? If yes it could be from either.

One maybe way to know is a 72 6 cylinder nova probably had an air cooled power glide it will have large round holes in the bellhousing and no cooler lines. The truck transmission was likely water cooled. You can also look for date codes and ID stampings like you did on the engine.

Air Cooled Powerglide.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
There isn't a bolt in the end of the crank. That balancer is a press fit with only interference holding it on.

ELCAM how could you tell this is a 230 and not a 250?

Reactions: 1 users

Fzeed

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 3, 2022
Is the trans a powerglide? If yes it could be from either.

One maybe way to know is a 72 6 cylinder nova probably had an air cooled power glide it will have large round holes in the bellhousing and no cooler lines. The truck transmission was likely water cooled. You can also look for date codes and ID stampings like you did on the engine.

View attachment 203967
Yeah i think from what i read it was supposed to have a PG but i don't know for sure what it has but i do know there are 2 transmission lines that come up to front and are connected to the radiator. I won't dig into the transmission stuff for a while. So is this engine/ transmission better than what i was expecting to have (250 with PG)?

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Two possibilities pull the torque converter cover and turn the flex plate with a flex plate turning tool or a screwdriver prying against the starter nose while the the blade of the screwdriver is in the teeth of the flex plate.

OR

Pull the crank shaft pully and use longer bolts screwed into the holes for the pully, use a lever on the bolts.

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
one thing I also see is yellow marking paint on the distributor cap. dead giveaway that's from a junkyard, it also says 230 on the cap. did you see all that white deposits on the dizzy components? I think that thing has seen moisture, which may also be why the engine is having trouble turning over

Fzeed

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 3, 2022
one thing I also see is yellow marking paint on the distributor cap. dead giveaway that's from a junkyard, it also says 230 on the cap. did you see all that white deposits on the dizzy components? I think that thing has seen moisture, which may also be why the engine is having trouble turning over
Actually all the components look like that and i'll replace them all if the motor isn't frozen. Right now i just want to see if it will turn over regardless of if it fires and starts.

Fzeed

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 3, 2022
The top radiator support/shroud says to run 91 octane, is that correct?

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
The top radiator support/shroud says to run 91 octane, is that correct?
Who knows what timing and all is set at and what detonation you're fighting.

Also, if it's really a 65 motor, you need to check if they ever updated the head with hardened valve train parts otherwise run a lead additive substitute to be safe....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor