Engine Stalling after 10-20 of driving

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
'84 Monte Carlo SS modified 305 H.O. ...

I feel like my fuel/air ratio is incorrect...

I have been adjusting the carb (1405 Edelbrock 600 cfm) meaning the choke (electric), the high speed idle screw, the idle screw, and the air ratio screws...

I feel everything is adjusted correctly except the fuel/air ratio screws, or it may be something else...

Today, I had it idling at 1200 RPM and 850-900 in gear (anything below that runs rough, and stalls more frequently). I played with it in idle and in gear while watching my vacuum gauge. Vacuum at idle is 20-21hg and 18hg in gear (not sure when accelerated or cruising).

After playing with it after some time and seeing it wasn't stalling, I took it for an 8-10 mile test drive and right at the end, it started stalling on me while I was accelerating and I tried keep it from stalling by pumping the gas pedal. It stumbled a few times before it finally stalled.

Funny thing is it starts right back up with no problem and will drive fine again, but when it stalls like that I just take it back home, and I assume it will eventually stall again if I take it any further...

I thought the fuel was restricted somewhere but fuel pressure reads 9psi...

I live in Oklahoma and right now the air is hot and humid, so I adjusted the fuel/ratio screws more richer than lean...if that makes sense...

What do you guys think is causing the stalling ? Fuel/Air ratio or fuel restriction ?

Or something else ?

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
Ignition coil going bad can sometimes cause similar issues, though most likely issues such as internals of rubber line near pump going bad or failing pump. Other parts , such as main jets, power valves, rods, springs sometimes need adjusting to be optimized.
Haven't worked on carbs much last 20 years to remember everything. Your set screws control mostly from idle to cruise range. If set reasonably decent, shouldn't be causing stalling & actually dying out, as other jetting functions shouldn't either if running ok initially with choke completely open.
Sounds like your carb bowl isn't staying full enough, making it die out & restarting once refilling enough. I'd check into fuel delivery first.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor