Engine stalling in gear?

Status
Not open for further replies.

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
I've got everything hooked up to drive, except alternator which I'm just wanting to drive around the block to check everything out so battery charge will do.

The engine idles fine in park/neutral when I get it going. For some reason it's getting too much gas (holley 770cfm 4150 street avenger), I smell it when the engine's off and it tends to shoot some flames when trying to turn over.

But I can deal with that as the carb will be tuned after I get exhaust, my main problem is the car stalling to nothing after I try to put it in reverse or drive.

I've cranked up the idle at park/neutral to 1500-1600 rpms now and it does the same thing. I'll try again in about a half hour after it stops letting out fumes, with idle set at 2000-2200 and see if it'll go in gear.

Any tips or thoughts on what might be wrong? It just stalls quick and hard to 0 rpms when shifting into gear, th350 trans and sbc

It's vacuum advance and electric choke, I have the choke turned off but the wire is connected. Shouldn't be a problem as I just warm it up with the throttle once it starts. I set the timing correctly last night

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
Well it tried to jump in reverse gear but wouldn't hold it. I'm sticking with my idle set at 1400-1600 and will lower it when I fix the problem.

I'll try advancing the timing a little ... but I already have it as much as it'll go cuz the damn manifold is in the way of the vacuum port on the dist.

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
fuel pressure's fine

The timing was pretty advanced, plug wires were all correct.

I started over with the timing, moved the dist. and oil pump shaft back to where I could actually play with the timing. I tried it again with timing set normally and it stalled in drive. Then I advanced it a lot :oops: and I actually got it to go in drive. Took it around the block and the trans shifts very nice.

My only problem now is reverse, which I still don't have, but am almost 100% positive it's just the cable pulling too far for reverse and the trans thinks it's in between Rev./neutral and stalls every time. I'll work this out next week, thanks for the help guys

But it runs now !!!!!!!!!!!! :banana:

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
pontiacgp said:
isn't that a new cam in your engine?

Yes, it's a comp cams 282XE, forgot to mention that earlier, you think that's why it liked the timing advanced more?

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
pontiacgp said:
custom442 said:
pontiacgp said:
isn't that a new cam in your engine?

Yes, it's a comp cams 282XE, forgot to mention that earlier, you think that's why it liked the timing advanced more?

no..I was more concerned that it doesn't sound like you breaked in the cam.....it takes about 20 minutes of run in time to break it in properly and you only have one shot to do it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23sYBHH9fUA

I broke in the engine about a week or more ago. It's actually time for my first oil change :!:

I wonder what the guys at the auto parts store will say when I bring in the old oil filled with moly lube and it looks yellow/white like beer froth... and tell them it's penzoil

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor