Engine swap A/C Compressor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
You do not want any factory ls compressors as they are the variable type. Can be made to work, but will prematurely fail.
I put I think it was the 508 type of sanden in place of factory f-body unit. Used mounts from BRP. fit more compact than factory unit & may have fit without the frame notching & reboxing I originally did. 508's were the workhorse of aftermarket ac units, other model you asked about is just a newer model. Think I had to remove 2 inner ears of 508 for lower mounting, so that is a tight tuck in.
The r-4's weren't the best of compressors, but they would save you on hoses if mounting in near enough to factory location & cheap enough to get replacements.
Plenty of aftermarket brackets these days, I think Speed Engineering also has quite a few choices now.
In a way it all partly depends on what outcome you want in the long run. I prefer the low mount for appearance and being on a separate short belt for theoretically less vibration. Also I went aftermarket ac about 5 years after ls swap to cleanup under hood & just to have all new ac & heat operating system. What's better is once again an opinion here.

Last edited:

ostrich

Master Mechanic
Aug 27, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I swapped a 5.3 in my 85 SS and used an R4 compressor from an 89 Blazer. Same from Camaros etc. I figured it would be easier for replacing if needed, just go to parts store & get one. Used these brackets (http://lsbrackets.com/r4-ac-relocation-bracket-turbo/). He makes them for the short accessories as well. Used stock 3rd Gen hoses, upper & lower mated to a stock 3rd Gen condenser. Fit like it was supposed to be there.

Attachments

• 20190606_083614.jpg
    20190606_083614.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 365
Reactions: 1 user

Firetruck1

Greasemonkey
Nov 1, 2017
Thereis nothing wrong with a quality brand name R4. I would take it over the numerous cheap Chinese Sanden copies out there!

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor