Engine Swap for 1983 Cutlass Supreme

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoctorSwain

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 4, 2020
Bozeman, Montana
I have a 1983 Canadian built Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme. This car had been great to me for a number of years. Tragedy struck when a cold snap hit and I killed the engine trying to start it up on a -30 degree day. I don't know exactly what happened but I heard a loud bang and all the oil drained from the engine. Prior to the engine dying, I had changed the water pump, replaced the hoses in the cooling system, changed out the ball joints, steering linkage, wheel bearings, shocks, and did some other work on the body. I put a lot of love into this car but my knowledge in mechanics stops at the engine. I have no idea how to do a proper swap and most of the language I see people use sounds like a foreign dialect. My question is where do I start if I want to have a successful engine swap? I have a neighbor with mechanical knowledge and I am a good learner, but I need as much help as I can get if I want to make this a reality.

From what I have read it sounds like the cheapest and easiest route would be to put in an SBC 350 as it would require little modification. I see some debate as to whether or not that is a good idea but it mostly seems like oldsmobile enthusiasts are the ones who don't like chevy engines in oldsmobile cars. I am not looking for a show car, I just want it to be reliable and run. I have even seen a thread where someone said an Olds will reject the chevy engine. This doesn't seem to be the case, as many people have youtube videos where they have put an sbc 350 into a g-body.

Judging on my research the 350 should go in with a BOP adapter for the transmission, a new radiator, clamshell engine mounts, and some other lines and hoses. Is it possible for me to get a new engine in my car for less than $1000? It would seem that way but I don't want to start this project only to run into problems that I didn't foresee. Please let me know what you think would be my best option. I love this car and I don't want to sell it.

Attachments

• cutlass.JPG
    cutlass.JPG
    925.4 KB · Views: 495
  • cutlassEngine.JPG
    cutlassEngine.JPG
    577.3 KB · Views: 574
Last edited:

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Question is really what do YOU want to do as far as what engine. V-6 replacement is the easiest - cheapest.

DoctorSwain

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 4, 2020
Bozeman, Montana
Question is really what do YOU want to do as far as what engine. V-6 replacement is the easiest - cheapest.

Thanks for your reply. I want to go the cheapest and easiest route for sure. My budget would be about $1000 and I want to be able to make it happen with less than 200 hours of work (3 months working full days on my weekends). As of now, I don't know much about engines so I'm trying to figure out what I should buy with confidence that I'm not going to screw this up. I have been drawing diagrams and reading the Chilton trying to familiarize myself with all the components from the perspective of a craftsman. Would a chevy V6 engine work or would I need to find an Olds V6 engine? What is the difference in compatibility with everything else on the car? It seems like the chevy engines are easier to find than the olds but require a little more work to fit in. A chevy 305 is listed in my area for $150.

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
The 3.8 engine is a buick based engine, like mentioned above the cheapest and easiest would be another 3.8 engine, not the chevy v6 which is completely different. To put in a Chevy v8 you would need a complete engine with the accessories, engine and frame mounts, exhaust manifolds and exhaust, and the adapter for the transmission as you mentioned. A Buick V8 would be very close to a drop in since you can use many of the parts from the V6, but the biggest drawback is the front mount oil pump which does wear out the timing chain cover, but your original engine has this also.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
There has been some nice low mi 3.8s (BUICK) pop up here due to re-powering to v-8 and there is no demand so they are cheap. As always buying a used engine is a pig in a poke, hearing it run and even compression check is a plus. A computer 3.8 would be your best bet 81 up (rear drive) and you would basically just bolt it in. You should update your info to include your location and use the wanted section,
someone just might have one.

Reactions: 1 users

DoctorSwain

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 4, 2020
Bozeman, Montana
There has been some nice low mi 3.8s (BUICK) pop up here due to re-powering to v-8 and there is no demand so they are cheap. As always buying a used engine is a pig in a poke, hearing it run and even compression check is a plus. A computer 3.8 would be your best bet 81 up (rear drive) and you would basically just bolt it in. You should update your info to include your location and use the wanted section,
someone just might have one.
Thanks so much for your help. I updated my info and am making a post in the wanted section right now. A rebuilt buick 3.8L v6 from O'reilly is $1,765 with a $260 core deposit so it would be nice to find one on here. I have decided against the 350 just because I think it is too much work for me to handle. I like the idea of being able to use all the parts from my current engine and not having to mess with the frame mounts, exhaust, and transmission.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Where's Mr. Sony with the Buick 350 suggestion? I guess I'll take his place.

Find a Buick 350, make sure it runs, swap accessories over, drop it in place of the v6- done.

Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
A 350 Buick is a direct swap, even accessories swap over. Also it won't be the slowest car on the planet.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor