Engine Swap Help Please V6 to V8

Status
Not open for further replies.

JC Clip

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 28, 2010
Just came from my local engine shop and asked how much it would cost me if i came in with a ls1 and new transmission already in the car and just have them do the ecu/computer work. He said anywhere from $2000 to $4000 to have it pass smog here in california. I respectfully said, "thank you" and when out of his shop said,"yeah right buddy you can lick me where i pee if you think i'm dumping 4g's for you." Okay i have about $1500 as my budget and have a 4.3 6 cyl 1985 monte carlo ls. I wanted to do the ls1 swap but too much work and money. So I need help finding a stronger engine with the least amount of wiring work needed, besides stock monte carlo v8.So if you can let me know what would be the best donor car to get one from i'd appreciate it. $1500 is my budget.

Peter

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
MA
1500 is gonna be really tough

i did a bare bones swap in my car got the engine and trans for 500 in a cutlass already so i had the radiator and anything like engine mounts and all the nik nak stuff that comes with the territory and i still ended up around 1200 bucks to get it done and nothing really went wrong or anything; money just flows when you get into a project. everything worked out perfect for me and i ended up saving a lot of money but every project goes differently and its impossible to say what the price tag will be but all i can tell you if ls1 expectations for 1500 is dead impossible.

JC Clip

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 28, 2010
Agreed. But i have someone doing the labor for free. Step pops can do it. But what he's worried about is the wiring and ecu. So thats why we decided to dump the ls1 or lt1 dream. Now we're just looking for something else with more power than what i have in now and not much computer work.

67rstbkt

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2010
Reno, Nevada
JC Clip said:
Agreed. But i have someone doing the labor for free. Step pops can do it. But what he's worried about is the wiring and ecu. So thats why we decided to dump the ls1 or lt1 dream. Now we're just looking for something else with more power than what i have in now and not much computer work.

That's asking a lot. If you want to pass smog in California, I don't think you have many options. It may be best to look into what is considered a legal swap in your state. If you're not worried about emissions, the good old Chevy 350 should work for you, but even doing all the work yourself, costs add up. Will you be swapping in just a motor? motor and transmission? will you be rebuilding anything? You need to ask yourself these questions before deciding on an option.

Member # 77

Apprentice
Feb 19, 2010
Hampton Roads, Va
HOw did the swap go??????

I am going to do the same thing to my Regal.

But my budget is a lot more than $1500.00

[imghttps://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/25979_1401564044169_1384361135_31141222_607009_n.jpg][/img]

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
67rstbkt said:
That's asking a lot. If you want to pass smog in California, I don't think you have many options. It may be best to look into what is considered a legal swap in your state.

Actually, an LS1 swap is completely legal in CA, so long as the motor is from a car and you transplant every single bit of emissions equipment from the original installation. The basic rule is that you can always swap a newer, cleaner engine into an older car. You just can't swap engines from different emissions classes, for example, you can't put a truck engine in a car because trucks have to meet a less stringent emissions standard.

deanlemans81

G-Body Guru
Sep 7, 2010
Acton Vale, Quebec, Canada
Why not try a 305 or350 tpi engine and trans out of a 87 to 91 third gen t/a or camaro. You could probably purchase a whole car in order to get all the wiring and emmisions stuff needed with your budget.
dean

gutless supreme

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 25, 2011
Long Island, NY
JC Clip said:
Just came from my local engine shop and asked how much it would cost me if i came in with a ls1 and new transmission already in the car and just have them do the ecu/computer work. He said anywhere from $2000 to $4000 to have it pass smog here in california. I respectfully said, "thank you" and when out of his shop said,"yeah right buddy you can lick me where i pee if you think i'm dumping 4g's for you." Okay i have about $1500 as my budget and have a 4.3 6 cyl 1985 monte carlo ls. I wanted to do the ls1 swap but too much work and money. So I need help finding a stronger engine with the least amount of wiring work needed, besides stock monte carlo v8.So if you can let me know what would be the best donor car to get one from i'd appreciate it. $1500 is my budget.

Here's one out of left field...

How about a newer 4.3l V6? The "high-output" version in the early 90s Astro/Safari was rated at 200hp and I'm absolutely positive you could buy an entire wrecked parts van with one for <$500 (then scrap it or part out the rest). Not exactly LS1 power, but it's more than a stock Monte SS and roughly the same as most TPI 305s - and it would leave you lots of money within your budget to improve on that. I'm pretty sure the version of that motor in your Monte only made like 130hp, so right off the bat that's a huge improvement... I briefly had an Astro with one of these a long time ago and it moved really well for it's size. Wiring should also be a lot easier since they're both OBDI, single injector systems. Should be able to retain your stock fuel pump and lines and most of the wiring under the hood will be - at absolute WORST - extremely similar.

I know someone just mentioned you can't legally swap a "truck" motor into a car in California... I'm not familiar with the CA testing process and how thorough it is at all, but if they're not looking for matching VIN numbers stamped on your block I don't see how they would even be able to tell. It would be near-identical externally and should easily pass the sniffer.

Nothing is quite like having a nice V8 under the hood, but for $1,500 you could easily get the performance of a stock 350 TPI (and then some) with better gas mileage... and it's a super easy swap! :banana:

RegalBegal

G-Body Guru
Jul 10, 2009
Goldsboro, NC
Hey, while your at it, why not a WWII era Rolls Royce Merlin engine? Hey, if they were good enough for the Spitfire and the P-51 Mustang (oops, bad Ford word :mrgreen: ) It's good enough for a G Body!

Rolls-Royce_Merlin.jpg

The Rolls-Royce Merlin is a British liquid-cooled, V-12 , piston aero engine, of 27-litre (1,650 cu in) capacity. :shock:

:puke:

Hey, this guy did it!!!

Merlin4.jpg

Merlin5.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor