Engine swap help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanguia1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 18, 2018
First...thanks in advance for help. So got a 85 monte carlo ss with 350 and no ecm or harness hei distributor manual/non computerized trans and carb. Got an 87 el camino with a rebuilt 350 with computerized carb, distributor and transmission. So the plan was to swap motors cause my brother wants to restore monte and reason we didnt swap trans too is monte has rebuilt trans. Unknown to us the monte had wiring n ecm tore out. I'm an decent mechanic n willing to take on a challenge. Well I pulled out both motors before I found out issues. So now I got the rebuilt motor in the monte. So set up is computerized carb n distributor but non computerised trans and no ecm or wiring. So question can I use computerized carb without issues and can I splice tach n bat wires to make computerized distributor non computerized. N of course I still have to put motor in el camino. El camino is going to my son. Were not el camino guys. Help please. I hope post makes sense

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Welcome to the forum, you'lll need to get a non computerized distributor and carb if you are not running a complete CCC system

Sanguia1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 18, 2018
Welcome to the forum, you'lll need to get a non computerized distributor and carb if you are not running a complete CCC system

Was hoping for better news as both are brand new. Now let's say I swap transmissions(putting comp trans in monte) n keep computerized carb n distributor will the ecm and wiring from 87 el camino fit n is that's all that's needed??

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Why can't you keep the non computer carb and distributor on the Monte and swap the computerized parts to the engine going back in the El Camino or is your goal to have a computerized Monte?
I am guessing all of the emissions stuff has been ripped from the Monte.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Sanguia1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 18, 2018
Why can't you keep the non computer carb and distributor on the Monte and swap the computerized parts to the engine going back in the El Camino or is your goal to have a computerized Monte?
The new motor has everything new on it so I was trying to keep new parts as to not spend money if possible. But gonna order new hei distributor n pull holly double pumper n have it rebuilt n put on new 350. And new computerized distributor n carb will go on old 350 n into el camino. Yes all the emissions stuff ripped out. Figure computerized system might slow it down anyways so decided to go non computerized on monte. Reason we didnt swap trans was monte had rebuilt trans.

Attachments

• 20181006_162833.jpg
    20181006_162833.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 285
  • 20180930_162629.jpg
    20180930_162629.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 288

Sanguia1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 18, 2018
Recommendations on distributor??

• Scared
Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Recommendation on distributor??

do you want to go hei or with a remote coil? Stay away from the chinsese junk and spend a little money on it. DUI makes great distributors and they custom tweak it for the engine you have

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor