Engine Swap Pontiac/Chevy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 20, 2016
can anyone share their knowledge on how to install a 1977-1979 Pontiac 400 engine in a 1982 Chevy SS Monte Carlo??

tdvick

Master Mechanic
Jun 25, 2010
Elk River, Mn.
I love the plan. I know you'll need the correct motor mounts to bolt to the block as well as the frame side mounts. Frame side mounts are easy to find new as the are the wearable part. Block side are a little tougher. Starter and I think fuel pump are on the opposite sides. Trans and exhaust are probably going to have to change as well. I'm sure there will be others that have more experience that will comment too. Hope you get it done!

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Yes, you will need the correct motor mounts and perches. Mounts are cheap and available. The perches are the brackets that bolt to the block and fit the frame mounts. Only one kind will work- the ones for a Pontiac 265/301 V-8 in a '78 to '81 A or G body. They are not made anymore, are hard to find (but not impossible), and expensive. On the plus side, a '77-'79 Pontiac 400 will have the proper block bolt holes for the perches. Also a Pontiac 400 in a Monte SS will raise agonizing screams of blasphemy from Chevy purists. Pay no attention. After all, they have no problem cramming Chevy motors in everything, so, TS. I had a Pontiac GTO 400 in a Malibu wagon and I loved it when guys came over to ask how come it's so fast. :rofl:

Reactions: 1 user

deanlemans81

G-Body Guru
Sep 7, 2010
Acton Vale, Quebec, Canada
Fun swap. I just finished dropping my Pontiac 400 into my Lemans that had a 3.8 chevy engine in it. Keep in mind that you will be replacing and modifying most of the drivetrain to make it fit Including electrical and hydraulic. I ageed with bonnewagon, piss off the chevy guys good.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor