Engine swap while retaining A/C, cruise and lockup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diablo87

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 11, 2016
Working on a 1987 Caballero, originally a 305 car, but now with 350. Distributor was already swapped to vacuum controlled and QJet is toast. Putting in a new top end, headers, square bore, etc., but would like to retain Cruise control, A/C and lockup of the 200-4R. ECM and factory wiring all in place. Wondering what is the easiest/cleanest/cheapest (in that order) to accomplish this. I ordered a lockup kit, but now am thinking that most of it is already there if I could determine how to "jump" the ECM (if necessary). Any help would be appreciated.

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
Welcome to the site.
The easiest way assuming the ECM still works is to run a ccc carb and distributor with the 350.

Diablo87

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 11, 2016
Welcome to the site.
The easiest way assuming the ECM still works is to run a ccc carb and distributor with the 350.

That makes sense, however, we are looking at a complete removal of the smog system and no viable CCC. The intent is to limit the ECM (if it is necessary to retain ) to control only what is necessary to retain those features.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Do you live in an area where there are no smog checks or emission testing? I'm not sure if you can have only partial operation of the ECM. I think its probably all or nothing as far as the computer system goes. I'm sure that others will chime in here.

Diablo87

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 11, 2016
Do you live in an area where there are no smog checks or emission testing? I'm not sure if you can have only partial operation of the ECM. I think its probably all or nothing as far as the computer system goes. I'm sure that others will chime in here.

Fortunately, they do not require testing of vehicles over 25 years old, though the system is technically supposed to remain intact. However, as a "classic or collector" vehicle, there is an exemption option in this state, provided the vehicle is registered and insured as such and there is another vehicle registered for primary use.

Diablo87

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 11, 2016
If you don't mind me asking, which State is that? I'm just curious.

WA. It works great in this situation, however, due to a lack of restrictions (or loop holes) on vehicle registrations there are a lot of vehicles out on the road that shouldn't be (read: uninsured and in disrepair). Any vehicle over 30 can be classified as a "classic" with a one-time, permanent $35 registration. There are rules around this, but they are vague. The vehicle may only be driven for "parades/shows, enjoyment of others (so carry a passenger) and on test drives." Basically unenforceable unless it's a truck and you're hauling lumber or trash.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
The ECM is on its own separate harness. It has nothing to do with the Cruise or AC function. Lockup can be achieved with a simple toggle switch or via an aftermarket kit ( which usually involves dropping the pan )

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
The CCC is a all or nothing system and the previous owner was a fool to disconnect it. The CCC doesn't run much of the smog system, just the egr and evap in 87. Plenty of ccc installs on 350's running around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor