Engine swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

83'Regal3.8L

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 24, 2020
Hey all just wanted to see if anyone had any advice on this. I have a 2004 Chevy Tahoe 5.3L V8 4x4. I have to replace the engine it sounds like which has 235k on it. This Tahoe is in decent shape with a rebuilt transmission in it. I found a guy that will do the work. He offered me one engine with 135k for 1100 for the engine and 400 for the work or one with 87k for 1700 and 400 for the work. Which do you guys think i should go with? The tahoe needs some work. Has some rust here and there. I think a switch issue with the 4x4 system. Interior is a little rough. Nothing major but diffinatly not in mint shape.
20200724_101559.jpg
20200724_101559.jpg
20200724_101634.jpg
20200724_101612.jpg

Last edited:

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Hey all just wanted to see if anyone had any advice on this. I have a 2004 Chevy Tahoe 5.3L V8 4x4. I have to replace the engine it sounds like which has 235k on it. This Tahoe is in decent shape with a rebuilt transmission in it. I found a guy that will do the work. He offered me one engine with 135k for 1100 for the engine and 400 for the work or one with 87k for 1700 and 400 for the work. Which do you guys think i should go with? The tahoe needs some work. Has some rust here and there. I think a switch issue with the 4x4 system. Interior is a little rough. Nothing major but diffinatly not in mint shape. View attachment 152521 View attachment 152521 View attachment 152522 View attachment 152523
Can you hear either run? If not, I'd ask him to pull the oil pan on both and I'd take the one that looks the cleanest on the inside. Why does the Tahoe need an engine? 235k normally wouldn't scare me on one of those engines so I'm surprised it needs one. Did it get hot? Lack of maintenance?

Reactions: 1 users

83'Regal3.8L

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 24, 2020
Can you hear either run? If not, I'd ask him to pull the oil pan on both and I'd take the one that looks the cleanest on the inside. Why does the Tahoe need an engine? 235k normally wouldn't scare me on one of those engines so I'm surprised it needs one. Did it get hot? Lack of maintenance?

Texas82GP Thanks for the reply! Its been over heated a time or 2. I travel for work so it was left with family. The last time it ran it was overheating, ran with low cooland. And i guess it was ran for about 5 min with no oil pressure. So i just thought to replace it. 2 different mechanics said if it doesnt have compression it needs another engine. One said hed try the oil pump, pick up tube o ring and gasket but he couldn't guarantee that would fix it. He quoted me $4500 for that job. I kniw thats ridiculous so i figure he just didnt want to ti the job. A while back i also remember an oil and coolant leak but it wasnt leaking on the ground i dont think unless it was mostly when it was running. Just alots going on with it. Its had it rough in North Dakota. It was wild up there during the oil boom in 2010+ and those hills are killer up there lol.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
If it's been hot a few times and there's no oil pressure it might need replaced. If you aren't working on it then you're at the mercy of your mechanic. I'm not convinced you need an engine but I'm not there. Find someone you can trust.

Reactions: 2 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Sell it as a mechanic's special and buy another Tahoe.

Reactions: 1 users

83'Regal3.8L

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 24, 2020
You're kidding, right?

Lol between a
If it's been hot a few times and there's no oil pressure it might need replaced. If you aren't working on it then you're at the mercy of your mechanic. I'm not convinced you need an engine but I'm not there. Find someone you can trust.

This is diffinatly true. I really wouldnt mind doing the job but i feel id just be going in a circle with the it and not sure what the outcome would be. Id drop the axle and all that change the oil pan gasket and pick up tube o-ring. Change oil pump and hopefully its running at that time. Get it all back together then id have the sluge to try and clean. Im not sure what the end result would be and if it would clog up the pick up tube screen. Not knowing about sluge or how bad it end up making its way to the pan is what stops me from attempting the job. Parts would be a few hundred or $400 all together. That would ne alot cheaper. Are there options when dealing with sluge?

83'Regal3.8L

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 24, 2020
Sell it as a mechanic's special and buy another Tahoe.

You're kidding, right?

Well id like to but im not sure if thats an option. Its a friends mechanic. Is it to much extra work to drop the pan so i could see it and asking him to replace the oil pan gasket and pick up tube o-ring since it's out you think? Also asking him to put in a new rear main seal?

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
If your engine is sludged up then it's time to move on. Either replace the engine or the vehicle. I was working under the assumption the two replacement engines were either running in a vehicle (hear it run, see oil pressure) or were out of the vehicles and the oil pan could easily be removed. In the absence of either, you're working totally on trust.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor