engine temp

Status
Not open for further replies.

scarborough

Master Mechanic
Sep 30, 2016
finally got a chance to take the cutlass out for a test drive after 3 1/2 yrs. resto. the car runs great may need a little tunning. the temp got up to 200 degrees and both radiator hose where pretty hard. I replaced the thermostat when the engine was rebuilt, it has a 5 blade clutch fan. I would like to stay with that setup if possible. not sure if I need to change the thermostat . the oil pressure is at 25 at idle once car is warm, I don't have tach so not sure of rpm at idle. any suggestion on what going with the hoses. its 455 bore 30 over with new piston, 3 angle valve job, with larger than stock valve not sure of the size, the previous own had the heads redone. also once the engine was broke In I changed the oil and added Lucas oil additive, which is what the machine shop added when they rebuilt the engine. I was told I should use a additive with every oil changed, are you guys using a additive to your oil changes. I hope I'm explaining all this clearly. I appreciate ALL..... the help and advice I've received from guys on this forum. I will post some picture once I learn how to.

Thanks

Reactions: 1 user

83StreetMachine

Master Mechanic
Dec 16, 2011
Central NJ
200 isn't hot, especially if like was said above, you're running a 195 t-stat.

what radiator do you have in the car?

Was the 200 reading from a stock gauge or aftermarket?

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
finally got a chance to take the cutlass out for a test drive after 3 1/2 yrs. resto. the car runs great may need a little tunning. the temp got up to 200 degrees and both radiator hose where pretty hard. I replaced the thermostat when the engine was rebuilt, it has a 5 blade clutch fan. I would like to stay with that setup if possible. not sure if I need to change the thermostat . the oil pressure is at 25 at idle once car is warm, I don't have tach so not sure of rpm at idle. any suggestion on what going with the hoses. its 455 bore 30 over with new piston, 3 angle valve job, with larger than stock valve not sure of the size, the previous own had the heads redone. also once the engine was broke In I changed the oil and added Lucas oil additive, which is what the machine shop added when they rebuilt the engine. I was told I should use a additive with every oil changed, are you guys using a additive to your oil changes. I hope I'm explaining all this clearly. I appreciate ALL..... the help and advice I've received from guys on this forum. I will post some picture once I learn how to.

Thanks
My one question, unrelated to your temp, is what you mean by Lucas oil additive?

Is it their high zinc break in product, or is it one of their other products also labeled as an oil stabilizing additive or high mileage additive?

It's the zinc booster you want due to changed formulations that aren't sufficient for the flat tappet cams.

scarborough

Master Mechanic
Sep 30, 2016
My one question, unrelated to your temp, is what you mean by Lucas oil additive?

Is it their high zinc break in product, or is it one of their other products also labeled as an oil stabilizing additive or high mileage additive?

It's the zinc booster you want due to changed formulations that aren't sufficient for the flat tappet cams.

scarborough

Master Mechanic
Sep 30, 2016
200 isn't hot, especially if like was said above, you're running a 195 t-stat.

what radiator do you have in the car?

Was the 200 reading from a stock gauge or aftermarket?
I'm use a new champion aluminum radiator rated for 400 +hp the gauges are after market they are priced on low end

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
What are the outside temps? A good rad with a 195 will run up to 210 pretty easy in Summer temps, consider a 180. What do you have for a rad currently, a 2, 3 or 4 core? FYI, 455's from the factory came with 6 and 7 blade clutch fans, they move a lot more air.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

scarborough

Master Mechanic
Sep 30, 2016
What are the outside temps? A good rad with a 195 will run up to 210 pretty easy in Summer temps, consider a 180. What do you have for a rad currently, a 2, 3 or 4 core? FYI, 455's from the factory came with 6 and 7 blade clutch fans, they move a lot more air.
I'm in Wisconsin the temp today is about 74 degrees today. I didn't have the original fan setup. I purchase the fan off Ebay and clutch from advance auto. ill take another look at fan blade tomorrow. I should know but at this moment I've forgotten. its been awhile it maybe more than 5

its been awhile
American Eagle All Aluminum Radiator Plus
Ledfoot Racing Aluminum Shroud & Two 14" Fans
Verify clearance for electric fan

2 Row Core, 1" Tubes | Cools up to 800hp
Radiator Dimensions:
Total:
18.25" tall (19" with cap) x 33" wide
Core: 16.75" tall x 28.25" wide x 2.25" thick
Inlet: 1.5" driver side
Outlet: 1.5" passenger side
Tanks: 2.5" thick
Tubes: 1" thick
Total Thickness: 6" (5" between fan motors)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor