Engine Temperature Gauge not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

MalibuHacon

Greasemonkey
Oct 19, 2015
Norway
Ribbedroof, when you say that the gauge scale is not linear, does that mean that 220 is not operating temp? Because most cars that I am used to will be at operating temp when the gauge needle is dead in the middle.

When I say operating temp i mean where temp usually settles, I don't know what that temp is, but i'm used to it being at the middle not off to either side.

That explains a lot

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
In my experience, these gauges usually run with the needle somewhere to the left of the 220 mark under normal conditions. How far varies on what thermostat is in the engine, and the overall condition of the cooling system.

You will notice that while the left side of the scale runs 100 to 220, the right side runs 220 to 260. Why GM chose to use this method is questionable, but I imagine that they were more concerned with better depiction of the reading on the high end of the scale, perhaps to lessen the chance of severe overheating

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 1 users

MalibuHacon

Greasemonkey
Oct 19, 2015
Norway
Okay i understand, you learn something everyday. My green wire looks just like the one you posted a pic of, I ended up just jamming a new wire into it and wrapping it over the sensor as you can see in my pic. Is the clip supposed to go sideways over the very end of the nipple?

I would test it, but i'm not outdoors right now, besides the green wire was not long enough, probably because it was fastened in the wrong side of the windshield washer reservoir. But then i'll know how to wrap it up tomorrow...

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
You are welcome, that's what we're here for....to help one another

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor