Engine tick or exhaust tick? - UPDATED

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
reving an engine to 2500 isn't really reving, If you didn't look at the oil pressure gauge but waited a minute after you started the engine the oil pressure was up. I think it's just a coincidence that the tick appeared after an oil change.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
do you also do that after your car has sat overnite?
Just a precautionary thing I do during oil changes. I take off the driver's VC and I change the filter. It's not necessary to go that far into it, but I like to. No reason to check if it's sat overnight without the change normally. I always stare at the op gauge anyway. If there isn't pressure, I don't start it.

oldmansmonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 29, 2010
Buffalo, NY
reving an engine to 2500 isn't really reving, If you didn't look at the oil pressure gauge but waited a minute after you started the engine the oil pressure was up. I think it's just a coincidence that the tick appeared after an oil change.

I agree. Only problem is I have no oil pressure gauge since my printed circuit board is sh*t so I have no center gauges. I have the part from Dixie and a friend offered to do it but we just haven't gotten around to it. I really have no reason to believe I wouldn't have had oil pressure. It was fine before the change and still runs good now, just has the tick. I only probably noticed it after the 25 hundo rev because I never abuse my privileges around my neighbors.

Sleeperchevy454

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 15, 2017
Illinois
I think for around 20 bucks you could get a mechanical gauge from autozone for a engine with only 6k on it be a pretty critical gauge to have.even if oil pressure is not the cause should prolly still have that.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Just a precautionary thing I do during oil changes. I take off the driver's VC and I change the filter. It's not necessary to go that far into it, but I like to. No reason to check if it's sat overnight without the change normally. I always stare at the op gauge anyway. If there isn't pressure, I don't start it.

And there is no reason to do it after an oil change

oldmansmonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 29, 2010
Buffalo, NY
So I've discovered the problem. It was a loose flex plate. The sounds was maddening because it sounded like the engine, but wasn't the engine, sounded like the exhaust but wasn't the exhaust. Brought it to my muffler shop and they put it on the lift and discovered the flexplate wobbling all over. Also it appears a weight on the plate is slightly out of place and touching the TC on each rotation causing the ticking sound. Going to swap out of the plate at a friends garage in two weeks. Kind of a pain but beats the hell out of having on engine issue or an exhaust leak that would most likely be reoccurring.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I'm glad it is an easy fix but how can the weight on the plate be touching the TC when rotating? The plate and TC are bolted together.

oldmansmonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 29, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I'm glad it is an easy fix but how can the weight on the plate be touching the TC when rotating? The plate and TC are bolted together.

The inner bolts are loose the plate is wobbling. The wobbling motion and my lack of a dust cover have caused one of the weights to seem to swell(rust) or be out of place.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor