Engine turns off while driving

Status
Not open for further replies.

88cutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 3, 2015
What's up guys my car recently turned off while at a stop light but i just turned it back on no problem and ran no problem. This the second time it happened, about 4 months ago it happened while making a turn. It's starting to worry me. Car runs fine just turns on pretty weak sometimes. Any ideas on what it can be like the distributor, alternator or something like that? It's an 88 cutlass 307.

theoldsone

G-Body Guru
Dec 26, 2014
Fuel filter, replace it. Carb may be reason why too. Corn in all the fuel now a days. :eek:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Fuel filter, replace it. Carb may be reason why too. Corn in all the fuel now a days. :eek:

not in some of the brands of premium gas, I use Shell, Ultrimar and Canadian Tire premium gas that has no corn in it. The car runs better and gas mileage is increased with real gas.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
What's up guys my car recently turned off while at a stop light but i just turned it back on no problem and ran no problem. This the second time it happened, about 4 months ago it happened while making a turn. It's starting to worry me. Car runs fine just turns on pretty weak sometimes. Any ideas on what it can be like the distributor, alternator or something like that? It's an 88 cutlass 307.

does the engine stall or shut off as in the electrical system shuts down

Last edited:

88cutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 3, 2015
does the engine stall or shut off as in the electrical system shuts down
The car just turns off electrical system still continues working the dashboard lights came on and radio was still on so I just turned it back on

81_El_Homewrecker

Greasemonkey
Oct 26, 2015
Steering got hard cuz when the engine shuts off the power steering pump isn't turning. I'm also leaning towards a bad ignition switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor