Engine wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 30, 2022
Have an 86 monte carlo, put in a built 355 with vortec top end out of another build.
The wiring is horrendous but I've got no choice financially but to do a repair job.
Anyone with a clear diagram or time to help out with some questions it'd be greatly appreciated. TIA

emperorbrownsuga

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 1, 2012
Have an 86 monte carlo, put in a built 355 with vortec top end out of another build.
The wiring is horrendous but I've got no choice financially but to do a repair job.
Anyone with a clear diagram or time to help out with some questions it'd be greatly appreciated. TIA
Here's the pin out from the under hood bulkhead connector. Found it on here somewhere or another. Hope it helps
01-13-21_01.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: 2 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
This should be some help. With some changes with alternator wire routing (circuit 2 12 AWG red) or the addition to the electric choke to V8 (circuits 78 18 AWG light blue, 931 18 AWG dark green white, 250 18 AWG brown) everything else is pretty much the same for '78-'88 Chevy engines.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users
Dec 30, 2022
This should be some help. With some changes with alternator wire routing (circuit 2 12 AWG red) or the addition to the electric choke to V8 (circuits 78 18 AWG light blue, 931 18 AWG dark green white, 250 18 AWG brown) everything else is pretty much the same for '78-'88 Chevy engines.
Definitely helps, mainly looking to have hei distributor wired and alternator pigtail wired up today

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
Just came across your post.

Attached below is loom I make.

Simple system, not very expensive, energizes HEI, Alt SI-10/12, and electric choke as found on Edelbrock/Holley.

Any questions PM me.

Attachments

• 20220904_190331.jpg
    20220904_190331.jpg
    300 KB · Views: 77

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
Tach wire comes out of the firewall right by the dizzy. Pretty sure it'll be white. Follow that wire to a 2 prong flat looking plug. There should be a pink wire attached also. If it's not there or cut. Find the pink wire from the bulkhead and hook it to battery side of the dizzy.
The alt plug is also 2 wires.# 1 of those wires needs to go to the dummy light in your dash. Or run a dummy bulb inline if you don't wanna mess with the dash. This is the exciter wire. The other wire is hooked to the positive post on alternator.
So you have the big wire from starter to alt post, run the #2 wire to that post. Run the #1 wire to the dummy light.Mine wouldn't charge without that bulb in the circuit.

Reactions: 1 users
Dec 30, 2022
Tach wire comes out of the firewall right by the dizzy. Pretty sure it'll be white. Follow that wire to a 2 prong flat looking plug. There should be a pink wire attached also. If it's not there or cut. Find the pink wire from the bulkhead and hook it to battery side of the dizzy.
The alt plug is also 2 wires.# 1 of those wires needs to go to the dummy light in your dash. Or run a dummy bulb inline if you don't wanna mess with the dash. This is the exciter wire. The other wire is hooked to the positive post on alternator.
So you have the big wire from starter to alt post, run the #2 wire to that post. Run the #1 wire to the dummy light.Mine wouldn't charge without that bulb in the circuit.
Seems like you've got just the knowledge I need but you confused me a little explaining it. Could I pm you to be more specific?

Reactions: 1 user
Dec 30, 2022
Just came across your post.

Attached below is loom I make.

Simple system, not very expensive, energizes HEI, Alt SI-10/12, and electric choke as found on Edelbrock/Holley.

Something like yours is what I'm going for I'm just trying to use the factory harness as much as possible, I had a 81 camaro with the same drive train basically but the wiring was much more straight forward and I didn't have Guages, lights, etc. It was the bare minimum. I have plans to drive this though and someone has cut the harness so pin diagrams aren't working out

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor