enigine swap help

Status
Not open for further replies.

CuttyboyJd

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 2, 2010
I have a 85 Cutlass Supreme Brougham an im in desperate need of information about converting my v6 over to a v8. I would like to put a 307 or 350 in but i dont even know where to start. Im truly lost. I need a list of parts that i need for the conversion and a detailed step by step on how to do the swap. I would rather do it myself because the experience i would gain would help me in the long run. I done plenty of swaps in hondas and this will be the first swap i've done on a domestic. So please please help i want my baby to run with the best of em out here.

First question: Does this have to be an emmission's complaint swap?

no it doesn't have any emission problems so a swap can be done

This has been posted many times, look through the forums because about 90% of any question you have is in here. Also depending on if your vehicle is original or not makes a lot of difference in what you will need. First you need to be sure of what motor you have, not guessing or thinking completely sure. Then what kind of motor mounts for sure and then what motor you are getting. If you have an olds motor then putting another olds in will be simple. If you have and olds and are planning on putting in a chevy it will get annoying. (I know from experience)
You need to know if you have a universal transmission also because if you dont you may need to change out your transmission. Olds bellhousing will not bolt to a chevy motor and vise versa, unless you have a universal bell housing.
Figure out what engine you have and you want if you want a precise answer.

ubanks2000 said:
First you need to be sure of what motor you have, not guessing or thinking completely sure. Then what kind of motor mounts for sure and then what motor you are getting. If you have an olds motor then putting another olds in will be simple. If you have and olds and are planning on putting in a chevy it will get annoying.

He said he has a V6, which means it's a Buick 231. You need the mounts for a 307, which will allow you to bolt in any Olds V8 from the 260 through the 455.

Well if registerring the car won't be an issue .... I wouldn't waste time with a 307 and start thinking 350 (or 403) ... BBO can be done but their extra width makes for a not for the timid swap. You will need the mounts for a 307 (as stated) and I am pretty sure you need the frame pads that those mount to. Exhaust work obviously will have to be done. New hoses. Not sure what your engine source will be or what accessories you plan to run (i.e. A/C) but you definately want to get all the bracketry from the SAME Olds V-8 (for simplicity sake - a 307 G-body would be ideal). Alot is going to hinge on what YOU want of this build and bare in mind it maybe cheaper just to find a V-8 car. Where do you plan to drive this car? How often are you driving it? What kind of power are you looking for? Will you attempt to run this on an 307 ECM, or are ALL Emmission's components being chucked? Headers? Factory manifolds? What transmission will you be running? Is this going to be a weekend project or months? (years?). What are you projecting for a budget? I bet tehre is a thread for the simplest of bolt-off/bolt-on swap, but you are going to run into things NOT coverred, because nothing ever goes 100% as planned. Be 300% sure that you will be able to register this vehicle before you even pick up a wrench!

i want to put a chevy 350 in because its so much more performance parts for it and it will be quicker then trying to source new parts for the olds 350 block i already have in my basement. my time frame to get this done is maybe a couple weeks my v6 died on me because the oil pressure was low and i think it jumped timing because the ring gear on my distributor was pretty ate up. so therefore trying to be quick about it i got a new timing chain and distributor for the v6 and the mechanic couldnt get it started. so i just figure go v8 rite away because i had 24s on it an took them off and i cant have a clean cutlass thats all show and no go.

CuttyboyJd said:
i want to put a chevy 350 in because its so much more performance parts for it and it will be quicker then trying to source new parts for the olds 350 block i already have in my basement.

Very common misconception. Just because you open a Jeg's and Summit catalog and don't see Olds parts, doesn't mean they don't carry them. They often just don't list them.

Next you'll have to look into the transmission since likely ANY V8 you put in front of it will tear it up in very short order. Anyone know what the typical V6 car had for a transmission? Does it have a BOP bolt pattern or a dual bolt pattern that will work with a Chevy?

231s could go either way .... reading his other posts. I beleive we can assume he has a uni-bell th350. The "Chebbie is better " thing is a total cop out. Be glad this isn't an "Olds" board. The natives would already get the pitchforks and torches out (likely myself included - bandwagons can be fun!). If you really must have a SBC powerred car. Just sell the Olds and buy a Monte Carlo. (I will be awaiting the replies about the Canadian 305 Cutlass and how this justifies every abomination swap made). It's an Olds - it should be an Olds!

i undrstand it should stay olds and its going to be once i bulit the olds 350 block i have up from the ground up. But in my case i just need to quickly throw in a engine to get around. i also have a child the will be due within the next couple weeks and i dont want to be stuck driving my girlfriends civic everywhere i love the feel of my cutlass. and if i can drive it again it would be a major blessing

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor