enigine swap help

Status
Not open for further replies.
FE3X CLONE said:
CuttyboyJd said:
i want to put a chevy 350 in because its so much more performance parts for it and it will be quicker then trying to source new parts for the olds 350 block i already have in my basement.

Very common misconception. Just because you open a Jeg's and Summit catalog and don't see Olds parts, doesn't mean they don't carry them. They often just don't list them.

Next you'll have to look into the transmission since likely ANY V8 you put in front of it will tear it up in very short order. Anyone know what the typical V6 car had for a transmission? Does it have a BOP bolt pattern or a dual bolt pattern that will work with a Chevy?

I think it's such a common thing to say because everyone and their mother's side of the family tree makes parts for SBCs. Oldsmobile engines on the other hand can have a little less of a market

DrRansom442 said:
231s could go either way .... reading his other posts. I beleive we can assume he has a uni-bell th350. The "Chebbie is better " thing is a total cop out. Be glad this isn't an "Olds" board. The natives would already get the pitchforks and torches out (likely myself included - bandwagons can be fun!). If you really must have a SBC powerred car. Just sell the Olds and buy a Monte Carlo. (I will be awaiting the replies about the Canadian 305 Cutlass and how this justifies every abomination swap made). It's an Olds - it should be an Olds!

First off, I want to say that you were being helpful with you're other posts and all the ?'s you were telling the op to find out the answers for. That said I find it quite funny and predictable that as soon as you found it he was going to a chevy motor you went right back to bashing. And your only advise changed to "buy a monte".
And you're right this Isn't an "olds" board, it's for all g-bodys. If you can't handle seeing a chevy powered bopc, then i'd recommend staying on the olds boards. And now you "await replies about the canadian 305 cutlass and how this justifies every abominatio swap made", that implies that you just want to argue instead of helping. :roll:

CuttyboyJD, you should check out the other topics that are stickies int the engine swap section. It will cover most of what you need to know. If there are any other specific questions you can't find the answer to in those topics, I would ask them in the same topic so that the next person will see it there. I say that just so that we can continue to build on to the info that is already there and to keep it in one place, just a thought.

i am basicly doing the same swap, except mine had a bad 307 in it(i got to meet dr ransom too,isn't he cute how he tries to bully his opinion like a grade school kid) I know you will need sbc motor mounts, also as said before your transmission may not bolt to your motor....if not look for a 700r4(you will appreciate the od) but you may also need to get a diffrent crossmember. you also need to decide if this needs to be an emissions car or not(each state has diffrent regulations) if you are not worried about emissions it is a pretty easy swap especially if you use an in cap hei. the only other thing is that the radiator may not be large enough for the sbc, but i am sure someone here can help with that

oops looks like i basicly posted the same thing as ubanks2000....my bad

The olds 350 is a beast way better than a SBC. So even Monte's should have OLDS 350 w/Nodular crank shaft. Early 72 blocks !

well if you read the original post, it says 307 or 350 ... so why would anyone ASSume he means a Chevy. I supposed we could be talking late 60s 307 a'la Chevelle but really? may as well use a damn 305. My guess is people are trying to convince him a SBC is the way to go, because this is how the sheep that read magazines are programmed to think. Even if I object to his desired goal. I'd still pose the same questions. The entire time I was building my Olds .... I'd hear Chevy this and chevy that, if you really must point fingers ... you really should look to the pro-Chevy camp. Chevies have their place and IMHO it's under the hood of a Chevy. Starting with a car that has a Chevy is far easier than swapping one over. Other than the turbo Regals ... I think everyone is on the same page when I say the 231 wasn't a primo choice for ANY make!

hotrod87 said:
if not look for a 700r4(you will appreciate the od) but you may also need to get a diffrent crossmember.

since your experiences obviously outweigh mine .... please tell me the benefit of said swap? Since GM only (overdrives) used the 200-4r in all the G-bodies you are on your own for crossmembers, driveshaft et cetera. Where as every 200-4r I've pulled was uni-bell and the same aprox size as a th350 --- you just need the TV cables, brackets and the correct crossmember. Much like the Olds misconceptions ... the 200-4r is a fine trans and can actually be built tougher than a 700-r4. Gearing is also better in the 200-4r. Notice most GN guys still run these transmissions.

DrRansom442 said:
well if you read the original post, it says 307 or 350 ... so why would anyone ASSume he means a Chevy. I supposed we could be talking late 60s 307 a'la Chevelle but really? may as well use a damn 305. My guess is people are trying to convince him a SBC is the way to go, because this is how the sheep that read magazines are programmed to think. Even if I object to his desired goal. I'd still pose the same questions. The entire time I was building my Olds .... I'd hear Chevy this and chevy that, if you really must point fingers ... you really should look to the pro-Chevy camp. Chevies have their place and IMHO it's under the hood of a Chevy. Starting with a car that has a Chevy is far easier than swapping one over. Other than the turbo Regals ... I think everyone is on the same page when I say the 231 wasn't a primo choice for ANY make!

I never assumed which engine he was using. As far as pointing fingers(if you are reffering to me), the only thing I pointed out was that as soon as the topic changed to chevy, YOU got all pissy about it. Anyone can use any engine they want, doesn't bother me. You are the one that gets all bent outta shape over it. And that's all I was pointing out.

It is funny that the only motor you seem to have a problem with is chevy. You said yourself you don't mind caddy's. They came with buick motors to and that seems to be ok with you too. What about pontiacs, would that be a problem? The fact that you seem to only bash chevys sounds more like a jealousy problem. :rofl:

DrRansom442 said:
hotrod87 said:
if not look for a 700r4(you will appreciate the od) but you may also need to get a diffrent crossmember.

since your experiences obviously outweigh mine .... please tell me the benefit of said swap? Since GM only (overdrives) used the 200-4r in all the G-bodies you are on your own for crossmembers, driveshaft et cetera. Where as every 200-4r I've pulled was uni-bell and the same aprox size as a th350 --- you just need the TV cables, brackets and the correct crossmember. Much like the Olds misconceptions ... the 200-4r is a fine trans and can actually be built tougher than a 700-r4. Gearing is also better in the 200-4r. Notice most GN guys still run these transmissions.
God no Drransom my experiences could never outweigh yours, i agree with you in most of the things you say when you are talking tech, it is only when you are basing other models is when i think your a b%&$h

actually if you looked at another post by the same OP, someone suggested an Poncho and I did put my $.02 in wonderring why. 231s are 'turds (unless they have turbos - no need pissing the turbo Regal boys off, they usually understand the plight of the Oldsmobiles). I whole heartedly believe Chebbie isn't the answer to all things automotive and I believe my initial reply was that the statement was something like "Chevies are cheaper/more plentiful/have more availible parts" is a cop-out and I stick by that statement. Machine work is where one tends to rack up expenses. When your machinist charges - he shouldn't care what make ... just how much work needs done. Olds blocks tend to wear very well and typically need less work than counter parts. I get that things like cams are pricey, intakes are more (new). But an Olds can be done on a budget. Just people would rather believe what Car Craft and Hot Rod have spewed for years. Wasn't untill recently that you'd see the mags build anything NOT SBC, SBF or Mopar .... and frankly, they apply what they know Chevy to other makes and don't seem to get the results an Olds builder (not Mondildo) makes. The Olds market is REALLY growing. Parts aren't so scarse. We are a tight-nit group who share. The years and years of "drop a Chevy in" are tired and old. Funny how it's more trend-setting to keep an Olds an Olds huh? When you pop that hood and people (mostly Chevy knowledgible) have to ask 432545656 questions and STILL don't believe it's an Olds. I've heard it all. From "it's a 283 look at the oil fill tube in the front" to "why are there so many valve cover bolts?" and the usual responses are "well, why didn't you put a Chebbie in there?" How do you think the replies would go if I went to MonteCarloSS.com and said "I want to put a 455 in a Monte SS?". I am registerred there and I do post. I am also on a couple Turbo Regal boards and probably no less than 6 Olds boards (posting on some more than others). This is an ALL G-body board. The OP WAS discussing Oldsmobile engines ... until the bandwagon started. Had this been a Buick to Chevy psot - would I have replied? Maybe not as quickly. What I read was someone wanting advice on how to swap a Buick for an Olds into his Olds. Now, once the V-6 is gone and the engine bay is empty. What I do know about putting in a SBO, becomes very relevant. Just as your Chevy knowledge would be relevant in a Chevy build/install. No offense is really intended but if your knowledge of Oldsmobiles is "remove and replace with a Chevy". Frankly I wouldn't ask you about an Oldsmobile then. I'd find an Olds guy. His car, he can do as he wishes. Hell put a Geo Metro 3 banger in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor