enigine swap help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still have the truck (i was only able to run it once.... with a bad plug wire firing to my header it ran 14.20's), my original plan was to find a malibu/monte and swap motors. I have a stout 700r4 that is waiting to go in the truck(currently has a th350). Since the motor is bad in the cutlass, i am going to let the truck sit a bit(my plans are now to either find a 455 or rebuild the 307 for the olds next winter, and freshen up the 383 with a milder cam mated to the 700r4 and make the truck my daily driver ) i most likely will get the 307 stroked and shoot for 5 to 550 hp

Yanno, I know there are factions that want to see what can be done with a 260/307, infact my buddy was urging me not to chuck the 260 since all it seemed to need was a cam (the bolt that held the timing chain on snapped) ... he figured buy a second hand cam, use my #8 heads from the 78 350 and find an aftermarket intake and some gaskets - I still think he was crazy for even thinking it. Surpringly, when we pulled the intake and heads off the 260 (curiousity mostly) damn thing looked like a fresh rebuild. But I had my car at someone else's place and no spot to store a core. So, I let the shop owner scrap it (let him keep my uni-bell th350/crossmember too, and anything else that seemed semi-reusible). I just don't know what kind of returns one can honestly expect from a 307 and I'd imagine there'd be some machine work to stroke it. Just my $.02 ... unless you just have a stockpile of cores. I'd find a Olds 350 even a webmain like mine would be an improvement over the 307.

infact, let me retract ... webbed mains, all Olds engines since 78 have them. I think once you look at the mains on a 307 .... you will forget the idea of a stroker motor.

Attachments

• 403mainweb.jpg
    403mainweb.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 354
thanks for that....i am such an obvious "chebby" guy huh....lol

If you wanted to build a really stout forced induction engine, a 350 Olds Nascar block or a 350 D or DX block would be the absolute best to go with. These stock blocks can handle 1500+HP with the right parts in them.

However with a street Olds, its hard to beat a big block. When I get around to doing more of a driver/cruiser build, I'm going to look into the many 496cid builds. These things make monsterous amounts of torque.

DrRansom442 said:
infact, let me retract ... webbed mains, all Olds engines since 78 have them. I think once you look at the mains on a 307 .... you will forget the idea of a stroker motor.

Actually, all Olds gas blocks since the 1977 model year have the windowed main webs.

my bad thought the '77 was still swm .... maybe that's just the swm403s Mondildo seems to think exist, but years of fruitless searches haven't found.

if i get the 350 engine and order the 700r4 transmission do i need a one piece case or the 2 piece case?

CuttyboyJd said:
if i get the 350 engine and order the 700r4 transmission do i need a one piece case or the 2 piece case?

2 piece case?

Thanks just put the order in i think im going to rebuild it with a stage 1 kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor