Envy Of Those Who Can Do

Status
Not open for further replies.

4oldsmobiles64

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 21, 2020
As now owner and seller of a 88 Cutlass Supreme Classic, 79 Hurst Olds - 86 442 and now a 1980 442.
Envy those who can do most everything. Not talking about rebuilding an engine just little things.
My 1980 442
Clock doesn't work - did though when I bought the car - fuse is good and plug up is good - don't know why it don't work now.
Cruise control doesn't work - I'm sure it's a vacuum line issue as the engine is a 350 rebuild out of a 70 Cutlass
When I get the dash lights to come on at night with the light knob - the tach then doesn't work.
Sometimes the speedometer doesn't work - most of the time it does. Have brand new cables from transmission to the cruise control and one to the dash.
The power window on the passenger side goes down with the switch on the driver door panel but doesn't go up - have to use the switch on the passenger
side to roll it up. All wiring is there and looks good.
The power door locks don't work - same thing -all wiring is there and plugged in.
Just venting I guess and am envy of those who can figure things out

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
We were all there at some point. Sometimes you just have to dive in head first and start learning. I don't mean rebuilding an engine right away, but fixing your power window issue should be a fairly straightforward job to diagnose and repair.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
One thing at a time. The dash lights, the speedo, the power window, the cruise control and the clock are most likely all separate issues.

I agree that the windows and door locks should be pretty straight forward with some basic tools and a little time to pull the panels and test some items. A sub $100 multimeter and test light will go a looooong way.

• Agree

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
An OE shop manual is very valuable for issues like these, as they generally have the circuit info, and often a troubleshooting flow chart.

IMO

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I think I started with engines mostly and then leaned to do everything else so I guess I am kind of backwards but I have always had a need for speed.

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Believe it or not, the multimeters from Harbor Freight are actually really nice. Get this one and you'll probably never need another one for the rest of your life.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users
Oct 18, 2007
Winchester VA
Many electrical problems are the result of old chassis grounds losing their conductivity. You could try cleaning up the corrosion and re-attaching the grounds on the circuits causing problems. As other posters said, a multimeter and a wiring schematic help in chasing wiring issues.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Believe it or not, the multimeters from Harbor Freight are actually really nice. Get this one and you'll probably never need another one for the rest of your life.

This my go to unit because it does......cough, cough......dwell. Yes it will measure dwell on a point style ignition and it's also a functional tachometer. Hard to believe that the guy that preaches EFI to everyone chose a multimeter because of it dwell measuring capabilities.

My '64 Nailhead has points.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor