Equipping a G-Body with a manual trans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I agree with Pontiacgp. You can't guess, you must mount the trans and see where the shifter wants to hit the tunnel. Mark it, and cut a small hole at first. Then you can enlarge it as needed. As you work the shifter, you will see where it hits and where to cut more. In my pic, you see a HUGE hole at the rear, because I had previously welded the hump to the tunnel and had to cut the whole mess out.

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
So can I do a mock up with the engine out or do i need to install motor and trans, cut a small hole and install shfter and trim as needed?

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
That's the best way, the way it will sit when actually in use. Last time I did it I used a bare short block, bellhousing, and an empty trans case. I positioned the motor mounts, trans mount, and shifter hole all at the same time.

RocketGremlin455

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 18, 2012
Galloway NJ
OK. So I should be able to run some type of stick overdrive trans behind a 455 in an 87 Cutlass then. I have a set of 79 malibu pedals for it. I was aiming towards some sort of hydraulic setup...either clutch and slave or a hydraulic throwout bearing. Would linkage be easier to run? I'm probably going to try and obtain the W Z manifolds for space (if I can find them) and I rather not fork out the $600 for those over the frame swap headers. I have a nicely done 462 in my 73 (that I'm about to part out and junk) to use for a motor.

So the questions I ponder are.. Which trans would be easiest to work with....preferably something off ebay or a local sale. What bellhousing options would I have to work with. Then above all.. putting the right bell, trans, linkage, etc together as a paper checklist so I can start collecting parts. Standard parts from like Autozone or the like would be nice. I have no welder to do the whole F body pedal conversion.

I read every inch of John Bzdel's site, Mcleod's site, 442.com, etc. This will be my 4th 455 to Gbody transplant, but my first STICK in 1 that wasn't factory. Thanks for listening.

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ
I don't know if the mechanical setup will work with a 455, a hydraulic throwout bearing would take care of any clearance issues, you'll probably have to get an aftermarket bellhousing too unless you can find one from another car (BOP bellhousings are even more rare than the Chevy ones).

CGimbel

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 26, 2008
Brian, pm sent.
It's been some years.
I have all the parts and information you need.
I'm back by five-points again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor