Errands, Backup and Secondary Use clause, Collector Car Insurance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
Hi Guys. So I'm thinking of getting a policy with Grundy based on the recommendations of many on this forum and others. I was curious about one of the clauses in the application. It specifically says, "will not be used frequently for regular driving such as driving to and from work or school, shopping, errands, general transportation or back-up use." This seems like somewhat of a gray area. Obviously, I don't intend on taking advantage or abusing the clause, but it seems like it could be a little tricky to enforce on their end. Have any of you had any experiences dealing with Grundy in particular where you've had to make a claim? Were they super nit-picky in terms of the circumstances and use surrounding the claim? Thanks.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
sounds like the insurance for the historic plates here in Ontario, you can drive it to a repair garage, in a parade or to a car show......there is a reason for the cheap insurance

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
Rule #1 (Ok, probably 2, 3, or 4, but you get the point)

Do Not mess with Insurance. Clauses like that lead me to believe that gives them an "Out" when it comes to coverage... Any little reason they can use to NOT pay out, They Will Use.

Classic Car Insurance if you want to set the value (I prefer Haggerty - never a claim), or Regular (Some may not like Progressive, but I've never had a problem - Motorcycle and cars are all Progressive) - I prefer Full Coverage, and never run anything But full coverage.

If I saw a clause like that, I would be laughing.

I look at it this way - If you get the best they offer, you will get treated the best. If you get the Cheapest they offer, you will get the worst service.

Short Story - I was in my gravel driveway, and my foot slipped in the gravel when I leaned it over to put the kickstand up and went over while my Then girlfriend (now wife) was on the back. I went off, she went off.. I have highway bars, so the bike only went over 45 degrees... bike wasn't hurt at all. No big deal, right? She broke two small bones in her wrist. My insurance (100/300 with $15k Medical Rider) kicked in, paid for everything, and settled with her for $5.5k. She had cash, in hand, within 3 days. No aruging, no hassle..

-Gonz

Reactions: 1 user

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I have Haggerty, my daughter has Grundy. Hers is somewhat more lenient but they both cite the limitations you described. They just don't want you in insane rush hour traffic with it. However when I spoke with the agent and explained that I have a station wagon he surprised me. I said I need to use it twice a year to trailer a small boat to and from the water. I also use it for Home Depot runs for plywood and stuff. He said no problem, that's what a station wagon is for! But with Haggerty I needed to register it as a historical vehicle, while my Daughter's Formula did not and is not even 25 years old yet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor