Escape From the Prison Planet

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Part 2 of The Compound Saga https://gbodyforum.com/threads/projects-from-the-compound.35069/

The Manifesto; There was just not enough to keep me here anymore. My daughter is done with school. My wife has topped out at her job. My job is going nowhere. Every day it gets more crowded and the traffic gets worse. Taxes keep going up at an alarming rate. I totally disagree with the politics here. Most of my projects are at a standstill. It's time to eject.

The plan; This has been simmering for years. It actually started as a half-joke about finding a little town somewhere and setting up camp like Boss Hog. Evolution took us to a more practical conclusion. I needed to find a more rural local. Oregon and Washington were off the table. I researched Idaho, Montana, Alaska, and Wyoming. As my focus narrowed to Idaho I found that my parents were beginning to have the same thoughts about the Portland area as I was. Being freshly retired, they made the move first. That gave me the opportunity to get a feel for the region without having to move there myself.

The hunt; After kicking around the western side of the state for awhile, I decided that it made the most sense to be on the west side of the Snake. Owyhee county is much less populated yet close enough to Nampa/Caldwell/Boise to make travel reasonable. Focus narrowed even tighter to the Marsing area. Official population 970. The town is on the left bank of the Snake river with the north side being relatively flat. Pockets of housing are interspersed among corn fields and a couple dairies. My parents are 2 miles north of Main street (AKA Highway 55). To the south of town the terrain backs up to a range of hills that mostly parallel the river. The river side is mainly orchard and vineyard with some corn fields mixed in. It stays pretty green. On the back side of the hills it gets much dryer and runs out to the Owyhee mountain range, high desert. That's where I wanted to be.

The spot; I searched for over a year and found that places in my target zone didn't come up often. Then one day I accidentally stumbled across a poorly placed by-owner sale. The location was perfect. The topography was exactly what I was looking for. Best of all the price was reasonable. After pleading my case, my wife was reluctantly on board. We did the deal. That was last fall.

Limbo and the hustle; Since my wife and daughter still had to finish out a school year, we were able to put some short-term renters in the house over there. I mentioned the purchase to one coworker who can keep his mouth shut but said nothing more to anyone else. Just kept going to work. As spring approached we contacted a realtor about selling The Compound. I always assumed due to it's lot size and location that it would probably just sell to a developer who would tear it down and build townhouses. She was convinced that it would be more valuable as it stands but needed but needed a remodel first. Sure, why don't I just go borrow even more money so I can get out from under this place. When the dust settled we had a new roof, gutters, flooring, countertops, paint inside and out, lighting, fixtures, door hardware, concrete work, landscaping, and a host of other small odds and ends. My last day of work was June 2nd and the house listed later the same day. Lots of interest but no real action yet.
While all the remodeling was going on we were packing and liquidating. I sold lots of parts along with my Goldwng and the ShotRod Sedan. I also hauled two Uhauls worth of unneeded household stuff and almost the entire contents of 2 shops along with all remaining vehicles to my parents' house to be stored in my dad's shop. I'm a huge inconvenience.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 4 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
The transition; Renters were out the first of June so I grabbed my rucksack and brown dog and rallyed the Neon to new location A. After getting the keys from the rental agent I went to the house to assess and strategize. I found the house in better condition than when they moved in and the lawn was even mowed. The decision was made to go back in the morning with my dad's tractor and start cleaning the spread. The house will get some deep cleaning and maybe a little paint later.

The spec sheet; I suppose introductions are in order. Just under 5 acres on an east facing hill. The lot is rectangular in shape. The lower third is very green and has plenty of trees and lots of birds. The transitional housing isn't much to brag about. Just a small manufactured home with a huge porch.

There are a couple of outbuildings as well. The shed on the left holds the well tank. The one on the right was a chicken house and was given to a neighbor.

This was being called the salsa garden by the previous owner. All dead now.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Big, old weeping willow.

Irrigation canal on the north border.

Runoff ditch that catches all the water from the farms uphill. Keeps everything in the yard green with minimal additional watering.

Fruit trees

More coming as progress unfolds.

Reactions: 6 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Looks like a nice place, congrats

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Looks like a nice property. I've heard good things about Idaho. How many acres are you on?
Moving is difficult, let's face it, but I'm sure it will be worthwhile in the end...plus having your folks nearby makes it easier.
Good luck, man...all the best.

Reactions: 1 user

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Thanks, guys. I really think I'm going to like it. The point of the thread is essentially a place for me to document the next phase. It's going to take a while to eventually get the new shop up and running because the new house comes first. Any vehicle related work will be taking place at my dad's shop until my shop is up...and I do have some projects in the que. I figured the move would be a good point to finish the old Compound thread and start this new chapter.

Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I'm looking forward to more coverage from the "new compound". ;)

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor