Status
Not open for further replies.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Is it the door or the frame?

Tell the shop to keep sending doors. You could use them to cover up the block wall...

• Haha
  • Winner
Reactions: 2 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Is it the door or the frame?
The short answer is both.

Here's the long answer; It's common practice to prehang a construction door in place of the final door. This is done for two reasons. 1, because builders are often poor planners and impatient. The final door may be a special order and a few weeks out. And 2, people in the construction field are destructive chimps who would most certainly beat the sh*t out of the final door. Construction doors are sacrificial.

"Back in my day" I would always try to get contractors to install the frame (often with sidelights and a transom) using the final door to ensure that everything was hung square, then they could swap in the construction door and store the final off-site until final trim-out. The second door shop I set up did quite a bit of high end work with some entry units selling in excess of $20k so the contractors were pretty particular.

The problem with my unit is that it was installed using a construction door, which are frequently not perfectly square. I voiced my concerns at the time. When the final door showed up it was Hemlock (even though BMC was calling it Fir) and missing the shelf. BMC screwed up the order. I know that because I was standing at their counter with my builder when we ordered the doors. It really looked okay but was nothing like what I or so I offered to accept it if they'd sell it to me at cost. They declined so it was in place for 5 months while the next one was on order. The next one came in with raised panels and ovolo sticking. It also came with square top lights. Mostly wrong but I accepted it. However, once installed it had a pretty uneven top reveal (The Hemlock door actually fit pretty well). In an effort to fix the reveal, it got much, much worse. Door #4 was ordered. It came in yesterday with arched lights, square sticking, and the dentil shelf. It's actually what I ordered the first time. We'll see if the installer can make it fit right. At this point I'm not optimistic.
I know, first world problems.

20180520_160710.jpg

20181105_092432.jpg

20181105_101414.jpg

20190130_140320.jpg

Reactions: 5 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Next 3 days forecast rain and possible snow on Monday so I spent the day working to clean up the yard and pasture area down where the old house was. Mostly burned stuff and fought with the BroHauler. It would start but only run at idle for a while and die if I gave it any throttle. Finally it popped back through the carb once and started running great. So I hitched my dad's trailer to it and rounded up a few loads of tumble weeds to burn.

Still a ton of work to do. The wind started to kick up a bit and I just kind of ran out of steam so I ran the trailer back to my dad and took the Indian for a little ride.
We'll see if I get anything accomplished during the rainy days.

Reactions: 5 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Hey, look! Another project.

I'm gonna use this a lot.

Reactions: 6 users

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Looking ahead to riding season. The mailman really delivered today.
Heavy duty skid plates for the TWs (Marc is coming to visit in a couple months).

The mount brackets and chrome eyebrows showed up to mount the saddlebags (set #2).

Reactions: 3 users
Nov 4, 2012
I'm jealous of your bike hobby. I've tried to get into it several times and no matter how hard I try I just can't get interested in two wheels.

Reactions: 1 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
It's not for everyone. These TWs really are a gateway drug though.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor