Ethanol the constant battle...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chevhead78

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 15, 2016
Beaverdale, PA
So I know I have run into it on a lot of my older toys that still run carbs so this thread is being created to help combat these problems we are running into.

Things like

Ethanol eating fuel lines making them brittle... Hmm wonder where all that fuel line goes into motor, clogging filter, etc. (ever see that goo that is ethanol eating rubber inside line)

Not being able to buy ethanol friendly carb kits for some cars.

Not being able to buy a fuel pump that is ethanol friendly for some cars.

So if you have any tips, ran into problems etc post it so we can all benefit.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I run strictly non ethanol fuel in my GP, the car runs better and better fuel milage. The premium gas at Shell, Ultrimar, Costco and Canadian Tire in Ontario is ethanol free. Double check on any stations you find at this site because it is not always accurate

http://www.pure-gas.org/

Last edited:

Chevhead78

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 15, 2016
Beaverdale, PA
Just got my old girl running and gas is flowing out of every orifice of the fuel pump but I do know she is original so no shame 1980 68K, I can't believe it made it this far on ethanol.

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
I run strictly non ethanol fuel in my GP, the car runs better and better fuel milage. The premium gas at Shell, Ultrimar, Costco and Canadian Tire in Ontario is ethanol free. Double check on any stations you find at this site because it is not always accurate

http://www.pure-gas.org/

I can also attest to this, non-ethanol is good stuff. I ran premium fuel with ethanol in my car for like 2 years, until a non-ethanol premium station popped up. The car runs better, and gets better mileage. My dad runs non-ethanol now in his 2010 Harley and has reported a difference in fuel mileage as well.

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
I haven't seen any gas stations in my area (NE USA), that have non-ethanol gas. I'm going check out the web site that pontiacgp (thx) posted above. I would like to test the non-ethanol stuff myself. The issue is that I run 87 octaine in all of my cars and if I understand the above posts, the non-ethanol stuff is only available in hi-test? What percentage of mileage improve do you guys see with the non-ethanol blend?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I can't pinpoint the exact gain in fuel mileage but it is noticeable. I play with the gas pedal too much to get accurate calculation from one tank to the next. I have the air/fuel mixture gauge and it runs at idle .4 richer with the non ethanol fuel.

Bill Creller

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 21, 2016
Saginaw Michigan area
We have a couple of stations here that have RV/Boat gas, which is 90 octane. I only use it in lawn tractors etc during winter storage, and cars that sit around a lot. Sometimes I use avgas in my Malibu that sits a lot ( it likes it )

Only ethanol problem I've ever had was my emergency generator, which sat for over a year. Had to remove & clean the carb to get crap out of it. Lesson learned......

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
I have had some ethanol problems, it damaged the acceleration pump in my Qjet, replaced it with a higher quality one. Also had ethanol damage the needle valve in my Farmall ' s carb, make it sticky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor