euro header panel and trunk emblem

Status
Not open for further replies.

scarborough

Master Mechanic
Sep 30, 2016
replacing the tail light emblem, euro header panel emblem, and trunk Lock Bezel emblem for 87 old cutlass. how good is the quality of the online aftermarket parts? any recommend site for OME quality parts

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Here's a comparison I did of the repro nose emblem vs. the GM one. There's also the A/C compressor decal, and Oldsmobile dash emblem comparo in there as well.

As far as the taillight emblems, if you don't have any or yours is terribly faded, then yeah, they'll do "ok". I don't own any, but if you look at them carefully, they're not all that and a bag of chips. I would put these in the category of "Better than nothing".

You'll find that most repro parts fit into that category. They either don't fit well, they have the wrong finish, or don't weather the elements very well (which GM had some issues in those categories as well), and generally just a crappy job overall. Some are very presentable. It's all in the details. Nearly all the repro parts will make a daily driver look excellent, but not all will make the car look like it was still in the showroom.

Here's a factory tail light emblem picture below for you to reference the aftermarket one if you buy some. I could tell from the pictures that were presented by the vendors they were better than nothing when they came out, so I didn't have to buy any to do a comparison. They've either gotten the message and changed/edited the pictures as they are not as sloppy looking as they first were. They still show some of the red around the rocket not covering right up to the edge, but the black edging used to look like someone with an unsteady hand painted that area. I still think they're a toss-up.
86-88taillightrocket.jpg

Here's a close up pic of a repro (not mine)
86-88taillightrocket repro.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

88 Gutlass

Greasemonkey
Jan 1, 2020
Ga
Here's a comparison I did of the repro nose emblem vs. the GM one. There's also the A/C compressor decal, and Oldsmobile dash emblem comparo in there as well.

As far as the taillight emblems, if you don't have any or yours is terribly faded, then yeah, they'll do "ok". I don't own any, but if you look at them carefully, they're not all that and a bag of chips. I would put these in the category of "Better than nothing".

You'll find that most repro parts fit into that category. They either don't fit well, they have the wrong finish, or don't weather the elements very well (which GM had some issues in those categories as well), and generally just a crappy job overall. Some are very presentable. It's all in the details. Nearly all the repro parts will make a daily driver look excellent, but not all will make the car look like it was still in the showroom.

Here's a factory tail light emblem picture below for you to reference the aftermarket one if you buy some. I could tell from the pictures that were presented by the vendors they were better than nothing when they came out, so I didn't have to buy any to do a comparison. They've either gotten the message and changed/edited the pictures as they are not as sloppy looking as they first were. They still show some of the red around the rocket not covering right up to the edge, but the black edging used to look like someone with an unsteady hand painted that area. I still think they're a toss-up.
View attachment 187855

Here's a close up pic of a repro (not mine)
View attachment 187856
I bought some off eBay and they look really close to originals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor