Everyday Performance Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
You see it all the time in almost every carb thread...

Everyone says "just have it rebuilt by everyday performance" "have everyday-performance rebuilt it!"

Okay, the advice here has been fantastic thus far.. So, I'll get a second carb to avoid the down-time, and have either it or mine rebuilt.. Fair enough...

Made the call.

$325 to rebuild

*blink.... blink... blink*

I'm sorry, did you say $325?

All electronic components are replaced?
"No, if they test good, they stay"

*blink.... blink... blink*

Okay then...

I see Rebuilding for under $200 all over the place.
Whole Rebuilt Carb with your core - $225-$240

*sigh* You guys are ****in' killin' me, ya know that? I know the "you get what you pay for" thing, but damn.. 60% more?

You guys buy gold plated windshield wiper arms and platinum fuel tank straps too?

Son of a..
This had better be worth it..

-Gonz

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
If the electrical components are still good I would rather use them than aftermarket parts

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Especially the TPS. If you stick with ACDelco on the TPS if you replace one, you should be good. Otherwise, it's a gamble in my experience.

It is worth it to cry a little financial pain now for miles of smiles later. Your SPG (smiles per gallon) will go up exponentially. There hasn't been ONE review from EP that I've seen as negative. Not saying mistakes don't happen, but everyone seems to be satisfied with the carb's performance when it returns.

There's always this if you want to pay more......

Or this...…..

And then you'll see that $325 for personalized service and getting your Q-jet to bolt right on, maybe an idle adjustment or something real minor, and enjoy your day. The value is there. You just won't know it until you get the carb back.

Reactions: 2 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
You see it all the time in almost every carb thread...

Everyone says "just have it rebuilt by everyday performance" "have everyday-performance rebuilt it!"

...I know the "you get what you pay for" thing ….

You guys buy gold plated windshield wiper arms and platinum fuel tank straps too?

Son of a..
This had better be worth it..

-Gonz
You answered your own fear. You do get what you pay for. So pay for it and quit beeching. You thought car maintenance on 35 year old jalopies was going to stay cheap? :)

And it's galvanized fuel tank straps. GM part number 557935. Need 2 per car. :)

It will be worth it. I'd do your spare first. Then if that works out to your satisfaction, save up and spend another $425 with EP to get your original redone and REPLATED to look factory fresh too. Or not.

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
I get all that.. And I said this had better be worth it, implying I AM going to do it..

It was just like sticker shock when looking at new vehicles.. I paid less for my damn House than a Decently Optioned F-250. Doesn't mean I wouldn't buy it.. Ill love the truck and hate the payment every month, and I would give it the same "This had better be worth it" when it comes to towing my toy hauler.

And I have, and do, pay Up To 20% More for something if I can use a local, brick-and-mortar business.. Sometimes more. My Exhaust is a great example - install was done 6 blocks away from my house. I paid 25% more than some other places that Aren't local..

But 60% More was a bit of a shock.

-Gonz

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
But think of it like this, you got a pedigreed carb on your car. You know the history...you send that in and THAT'S the carb you get back instead of some mystery pile of crap core that you have no idea of its origin. It's made specifically for your car, and if you need adjustments on it like calibrations for high altitude, etc., EP would do that too. It's more personalized service than one of those Cheesy McCarburetors in a big box store or some fly by night carb servicer that thinks ALL Qjets must be generically calibrated to fit every engine.

Any good carb rebuilders in your local zone? I know I don't have any. So anything like that will have to be mail order.

EDIT: In a year, you won't even be thinking about the extra coin you spent for what value you get in return. Take that to the bank.

Nov 4, 2012
What is the turnaround time for a rebuild and replate from EP? They do have outstanding reviews.

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
I say spend the $200 to get yours rebuilt and if you luck out...well done. then when it isn't what you expected you can pay the $325 and have it done right and when you see the $525 you spent, then you'll realize the $325 was a bargain......then you'll feel better about it..............it's all in your perspective...........easy peeezy.

Oh and note.... this is not a safe place to whine about money........and share personal feelings.......

Reactions: 1 user

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
But think of it like this, you got a pedigreed carb on your car. You know the history...you send that in and THAT'S the carb you get back instead of some mystery pile of crap core that you have no idea of its origin. It's made specifically for your car, and if you need adjustments on it like calibrations for high altitude, etc., EP would do that too. It's more personalized service than one of those Cheesy McCarburetors in a big box store or some fly by night carb servicer that thinks ALL Qjets must be generically calibrated to fit every engine.

Any good carb rebuilders in your local zone? I know I don't have any. So anything like that will have to be mail order.

EDIT: In a year, you won't even be thinking about the extra coin you spent for what value you get in return. Take that to the bank.

I get it... I get it... that's why I'm still doing it. Was just shocked at the price.

What is the turnaround time for a rebuild and replate from EP? They do have outstanding reviews.

5 Business Days - his words.

Oh and note.... this is not a safe place to whine about money........and share personal feelings.......

HUA, but I really don't care what people on "teh interwebz" think of me. Stopped bothering me a long, long time ago. :)

-Gonz

Reactions: 1 user

Bitterman

Greasemonkey
Jan 17, 2017
Some good advise here. Getting a qjet rebuilt by a pro and tuned to your engine for 325 sounds fairly good to me. I've rebuilt several dual jet 210 carbs in my day. The carbs are not hard to work on with knowledge about how they work. I'm even considering having EP rebuild my qjet. (Not a 210) Why you ask. Once I get it back, bolt it on and call it a day. I have not had experience with setting up a carb for my engines mods. They have. Period. Once you get a qjet set right, it's good to go for years. At least that is my experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor