Exhaust 305

Status
Not open for further replies.

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
Take the manifold to any good auto parts store or muffler shop and ask for a graphite doughnut gasket. I looks like someone removed the EFE valve and replaced it with the iron doughnut you have there, problem is there is no way to locate it when you attach the exhaust pipe. EFE valve looks like the picture below .

Attachments

• E1089.JPG
    E1089.JPG
    28.7 KB · Views: 450
Reactions: 2 users

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
The valve would have a thermal switch usually on the thermostat housing and a vacuum source at the base of the carb. If you were to go to a good parts store or muffler shop they should be able to sell you a donut that looks similar to this that would lock into the manifold and the exhaust pipe would bolt to it.
Capture (640x523).jpg

Reactions: 2 users

Jorge1958

Master Mechanic
Mar 2, 2019
Columbia City Oregon
It is a graphite gasket from what i saw. Buy a new graphite gasket from NAPA. New studs and nuts to and make sure your header pipe is round and not oblong.

Reactions: 1 user

RustBucket

Greasemonkey
Feb 8, 2018
Houston, TX
The valve would have a thermal switch usually on the thermostat housing and a vacuum source at the base of the carb. If you were to go to a good parts store or muffler shop they should be able to sell you a donut that looks similar to this that would lock into the manifold and the exhaust pipe would bolt to it.
View attachment 146110

Is yours for a 305?
It is a graphite gasket from what i saw. Buy a new graphite gasket from NAPA. New studs and nuts to and make sure your header pipe is round and not oblong.
I had a muffler ahop replace the atuds about a year ago. I took the manifolds right when i removed them from a cadillac limousine. Never tried them on before they replaced the studs. I dont think anything is wrong with my donut. I just think it's missing a gasket or something. Its mating metal on metal.

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
Is yours for a 305?

I had a muffler ahop replace the atuds about a year ago. I took the manifolds right when i removed them from a cadillac limousine. Never tried them on before they replaced the studs. I dont think anything is wrong with my donut. I just think it's missing a gasket or something. Its mating metal on metal.

The picture was off the web.
My blue 79 has a 267 with Hooker long tube headers so all the factory manifolds and thermo switches are gone. I do have an 88 SS with the 305 and stock manifolds. I also have the EFE still in place but the metal flap is removed. The EFE valve has ears that locate in the exhaust studs. You can get a gasket from someplace like NAPA but just understand the steel donut has nothing to locate in the manifold with. What you have is a round ring that you are hoping stays on the gasket when you attach the pipe to it.

Reactions: 1 user

RustBucket

Greasemonkey
Feb 8, 2018
Houston, TX
The picture was off the web.
My blue 79 has a 267 with Hooker long tube headers so all the factory manifolds and thermo switches are gone. I do have an 88 SS with the 305 and stock manifolds. I also have the EFE still in place but the metal flap is removed. The EFE valve has ears that locate in the exhaust studs. You can get a gasket from someplace like NAPA but just understand the steel donut has nothing to locate in the manifold with. What you have is a round ring that you are hoping stays on the gasket when you attach the pipe to it.
ok I kind of understand what you're saying now. I'll take a video tomorrow and show u my y pipe flange.

by the way, what is the difference between a SS 305 and a stock 305?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor