Exhaust attaches to frame or body?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
Hi All! So...Actually considering DIY-ing a lot more of my restomod if I can find a house with a workshop (or room for one). The prices on two-post lifts are actually not that bad, so if I can get approval for one where I move to, I'm thinking of trying to do the body/frame separation myself (with help, of course).

So my question is...When we get around to the point of putting in the new engine/suspension/drivetrain/exhaust, does the exhaust hang from the frame or from the body? The closest thing I've seen to a bolt-in LS exhaust for G-Bodies is the Hooker Blackheart setup, but even that will probably require some fabrication/customization, since it's made for setups without cats. Any input, tips, experiences welcome. Thanks.

Last edited:

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
It hangs from the frame. You'll have the mount points at the transmission mount by the cat & two over the rear axle at the muffler. This is the general set up other than the MCSS.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

Chevyman540

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 11, 2016
I'm guessing your going with a LS engine. I haven't seen many systems that actually bolt in as they say. You being in California have different problems then the rest of us. Other then bolting the exhaust to manifolds or headers, cats might have a bracket or not, then the exhaust bolts to the rear crossmember after the mufflers and to the frame for the tailpipes.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Be aware, there are requirements for slab construction to SAFELY anchor a two post lift that are not usually included in the pour of a "typical" residential garage floor.

A typical wire-reinforced 4" slab is not strong enough to use under a 2 post lift.

• Agree
  • Informative
  • Useful
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor