Exhaust Cost Question....

Status
Not open for further replies.

6door74

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 18, 2016
Maryland
Hello all,

stopped by a muffler shop to get a quote on a dual exhaust today. I have a stock 84 monte carlo with 305. I'm looking for an exhaust purely for aesthetics ad sound. I have no plans on modifying the engine at all. That said, they quoted me at $400 for a cat back straight pipe dual exhaust ($500 with the tips). Does that sound like a reasonable price? I'm originally from NY and muffler shops were on every corner in the bronx so prices as i remember (<10 years ago when i did a different car with dual including mufflers) weren't that high.

I also have an 81 el camino on which i need some exhaust work done. Before I give these guys my business x2, I want to get an idea of how much others paid or what I can do to get it down in price if possible. True duals would be nice but I don't want to spend extra money on performance that I could care less about. If my theory on that is wrong, feel free to advise me otherwise.

Thank you

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
I put a "stock" off the shelf 442 cat-back 2 1/4" pipe dual system on my cutlass last year. The parts ran about $250 maybe less, no "tips" so if you figure in labor... I dunno. Might not be far off. Not sure what stuff runs even here, let alone NY.

6door74

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 18, 2016
Maryland
I put a "stock" off the shelf 442 cat-back 2 1/4" pipe dual system on my cutlass last year. The parts ran about $250 maybe less, no "tips" so if you figure in labor... I dunno. Might not be far off. Not sure what stuff runs even here, let alone NY.

Gotcha...sounds like $400 is reasonable considering the labor then. I hoped it would be less since i asked for straight pipes. I'm in MD now so that's why i mentioned being originally from NY. I was wondering if I was paying more than I would had I still been up in NY (bronx).

Thanks

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
A Walker cat back system would be about $220 for parts, less if you shop around.
These factory set ups are pretty easy to install is there a reason you don't want to do it yourself?

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I did exhaust on my Cutlass last year. Rockauto had all 5 rear individual GN parts. Luckily I had access to a bender at work so I bent up the headpipes. I think I had about $225 in parts. Mine is also a stock 305 and I was looking for the same result -- just better looks and tone. I love the way it sounds. Good classic rumble without being too loud or obnoxious. The best part is that it has a factory fit an appearance. It was also worth a full second and 6mph in the quarter, if you're into that sort of thing.
20170810_092237.jpg
20170810_092311.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 4 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Where in MD are you? Tonys Custom Exhaust in Glen Burnie is usually reasonable.

While we're on the subject, is there a recommendation for a y-pipe cat back? I'd like to do a cheap, single inlet, dual outlet, transverse muffler setup on the Pig.

Skitter302

Apprentice
Jan 20, 2014
USA, WA
I asked a shop here and they said that is was $500 for my Cutlass to do 2.5" Duals with X pipe. That doesn't include the exhaust headers I wanted to put on my Olds 350. So I would call your $400 quote that going rate these days

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
What type of metal is the exhaust? I got 2.5" mandrel bent T304 SS from the collectors back for $600 5 years ago and no problems. The exhaust go over the rear end and exits behind the back wheels. I supplied the spun SS catalytic converters and SS mufflers

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
That's what I paid although a split at back of muffler and ran out parallel to the rear tires. Sounds awesome. No tips.

V8 Rumble

Royal Smart Person
Jan 7, 2010
Connecticut
I remember those days in the bronx. I also grew up there. my brother still lives there and prices arw still very reasonable.

In CT it'll cost me about 1200 or so for header back and it's a crush bend. I didn't do it though. Aluminized steel I think they use.

You can still find deals out there depends on the shop and relationships you have with them

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor