Exhaust Gasket Materiel

Status
Not open for further replies.

FluoFerret

Greasemonkey
Apr 2, 2018
Luxembourg
Your oppinions are needed:
When it comes to sealing a standart exhaust manifold to the engine block, what would be the best material? Copper, exhaust-grade sillicone sealant, composite materials, etc.?

I have a set of copper gaskets, but I hesitate on installing them. Somewhere I read that any noble metal would destroy the lesser metal over time, and I don't want to take any risks here.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I'm using OE type replacements from Fel Pro. Just torque to spec & should be good. Depending which style you are using & if used make sure they are not warped. Older style SBC manifolds can warp/distort from excessive exhaust heat. This is one of the reason I'm using used "EGR" manifolds that have a bar cast in between the exhaust ports.

spicercars

Greasemonkey
Jan 7, 2019
Saginaw MN
I would use the stock exhaust gaskets from a parts store. Felpro makes good quality gaskets.

FluoFerret

Greasemonkey
Apr 2, 2018
Luxembourg
I'm using OE type replacements from Fel Pro. Just torque to spec & should be good. Depending which style you are using & if used make sure they are not warped. Older style SBC manifolds can warp/distort from excessive exhaust heat. This is one of the reason I'm using used "EGR" manifolds that have a bar cast in between the exhaust ports.
I would use the stock exhaust gaskets from a parts store. Felpro makes good quality gaskets.

I thought about that too, but from my experience, they never truely seal and will blow over time... or was this caused by the fact that I had them installed on headers?

spicercars

Greasemonkey
Jan 7, 2019
Saginaw MN
You shouldn't use stock gaskets with headers. That might be why you had a problem. Make sure both surfaces are clean. You can take a flat file to the manifolds to make sure the sealing surface is clean.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
For stock manifolds I think a good Fel Pro gasket will work fine, I only use copper gaskets on headers and they seal the best for that application IMO.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor