Exhaust suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

80elky

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 23, 2019
I have a 1980 el camino with a 350 (planning on going 383 soon). I was looking for suggestions on how to update my exhaust setup. Right now, I have true duals going straight out the back. The biggest problem I have with this (aside from looks) is that sometimes the back of the car bottoms out and crushes the tailpipes, new shocks are on the way, but even so, I'd like to change it up. I am planning on putting in new mufflers anyway so I was wondering where you guys think I should exit. I have thought about side pipes because I love the look but I don't really want to worry about the clearance issues. I know most el camino owners I know do 45's coming out behind the rear tires and I do like the look of that but I also heard the new thing is side exit exhaust coming out right in front of the rear tires with more of a flat looking tail pipe and I was wondering what you guys thought. Any suggestions on where to exit and/or what kind of tail pipe would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: 1 user

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I also heard the new thing is side exit exhaust coming out right in front of the rear tires with more of a flat looking tail pipe and I was wondering what you guys thought.
I wouldn't call it a "new" thing....
Anything in front of the axle is going to be considerably louder than over the axle pipes.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
There really is no reason not to run a full exhaust with tailpipes that go over the axle, I prefer the look of having them exit behind the rear tire so you don't really see them plus they are angled towards the ground which IMO makes them a little quieter.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Local Hero

G-Body Guru
Nov 24, 2016
Northcoast, Cleveland, Ohio
That's cheating.

Any time I see a car with exhaust dumping out in front of the rear wheels or ending at the rear axle, I get the impression that the guy cut corners there and probably a bunch of other places as well.

• Agree
Reactions: 6 users

80elky

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 23, 2019
There really is no reason not to run a full exhaust with tailpipes that go over the axle, I prefer the look of having them exit behind the rear tire so you don't really see them plus they are angled towards the ground which IMO makes them a little quieter.
Ok that's kind of what I was thinking too. So if I exit behind the rear wheel do I go closer to the wheel, closer to the end of the car, or exactly halfway? And I should come out at a regular 45 degree angle, right?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
On my Monte I made the 4" tailpipes so that they exit right behind the rear tires and then turn down.

IMG_0015.jpg

On my Regal I have stock Olds 442 tailpipes that exit about the same as my Monte but just have a angle cut on the end.
Aftermarket exhaust and tail pipes are going to be designed around the factory gas tank
IMG_1934.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

80elky

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 23, 2019
Ok last question, if I were to upgrade to a 383, should I increase the size of the exhaust pipes? Right now its running two 2" pipes. Should I do like 2.5" or 3" or is 2" good enough?
On my Monte I made the 4" tailpipes that exit right behind the rear tires and then turns down.

View attachment 159285

On my Regal I have stock Olds 442 tailpipes that exit about the same as my Monte but just have a angle cut on the end.
Aftermarket exhaust and tail pipes are going to be designed around the factory gas tank
View attachment 159286

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
That's cheating.
Any time I see a car with exhaust dumping out in front of the rear wheels or ending at the rear axle, I get the impression that the guy cut corners there and probably a bunch of other places as well.
forward this to Donovan.. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:that juggernaut's all kinds of cut corners..

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
Ok last question, if I were to upgrade to a 383, should I increase the size of the exhaust pipes? Right now its running two 2" pipes. Should I do like 2.5" or 3" or is 2" good enough?
"2.5 is plenty

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor