Explain how to not get paint lines...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
I'm going to get jams, inside doors, trunk etc painted first. I've watched videos on guys doing this with tape and or 3M foam to avoid getting hard lines. But I could still use a little input. Any help is appreciated. Whether you can point to a thread or pics of what you've done etc.
As an example, if I'm painting inside of door do I roll tape back so only half the edge gets painted? Then reverse tape when doing the outside? Does that make sense?
Thanks guys.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
I'm going to get jams, inside doors, trunk etc painted first. I've watched videos on guys doing this with tape and or 3M foam to avoid getting hard lines. But I could still use a little input. Any help is appreciated. Whether you can point to a thread or pics of what you've done etc.
As an example, if I'm painting inside of door do I roll tape back so only half the edge gets painted? Then reverse tape when doing the outside? Does that make sense?
Thanks guys.
Not a body guy but I think it has a lot to do with the type of paint youre using. Ive rolled back 2" tape on jambs but that was with old school lacquer paint many years ago. Not sure how it works with single stage paints.

Reactions: 1 users

ostrich

Master Mechanic
Aug 27, 2012
Ontario, Canada
When I painted my MCSS we used the 3M foam tape on the jamb side of the door right up to the edge. Then when you close the door it compresses and kind of makes a seal. You can still get paint on the door rounded edge (door skin) side without a tape line. Worked well.

Reactions: 1 users

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
When I painted my MCSS we used the 3M foam tape on the jamb side of the door right up to the edge. Then when you close the door it compresses and kind of makes a seal. You can still get paint on the door rounded edge (door skin) side without a tape line. Worked well.
Front, bottom, and back of door jams, correct?

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
Thanks guys.
theres a bunch of ways to do it.foam tape totally works,all day.if you didn't want to spring for the foam you can roll the 3/4" tape back to make a less than hard edge like Mikester said.3m makes a product called transion tape,it's pretty slick.if I had to describe it,it's about a 1/4" wide and has the adhesive ONLY in the center of of it so it allows material to blow in a small amount creating a much softer edge.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor