Exploding tire of Doom

Status
Not open for further replies.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
More than likely that tire just wanted off off of those ugly*** Keystones.

I still remember 1981, one of my friends put Keystones Klassics on his 77 Regal and thought it was most beautiful car in school. I didn't have the heart to tell him how ugly it looked.

Over the years, I have come to appreciate some things I initially thought were ugly. After nearly 40 years, I'm not there yet with Keystones.

Reactions: 1 users

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
the 14x6 wheels will comfortably take either a 235 60 14 with just a little sidewall bulge and minor wheel rub up front IIRC as opposed to the 225 70 14 which would appear taller and narrower. Another olds rally wheel trick was to run the 14's up front and a pair of 15" Olds Rallys in the rear. The 15's are a wider 7inch rim which will take a 245 60 15 tire comfortably but appear identical to the fronts.
With the 2 series rear a taller rear tire would make the car even slower to drive though. What trans are you running ? Maybe keep an eye on craigslist for someone parting an SS. I sold my peg-leg 3.42 rear for $150 or so. Having a better ratio like the 3.42 would make a night and day difference driving your car. So much so that you may be able to lay a little rubber down... going around a corner... on a dusty road...
Just kidding.... but really a complete rear end with better gearing would really wake up the car and make a 307 feel pretty stout for little money.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users

307 Gutless

Apprentice
Jan 12, 2017
Utah
You have more guts than I do driving in the snow with those tires. Whats the date code on those tires? Is there no safety inspection on a car when you buy it?. Where I am part of the inspection they pull off all the wheels to check the brakes and stuff so that rusted wheel would have been caught at the inspection.

I do it All the time time Snow Driving is like any other Skill. Plus I get to Pretend Like I have a lot of HP.
I bet they are way old. I Learned my lesson. I haven't gotten around to looking. It's too damn cold outside.

For Inspection here a 17 year old Kid walks around the Car Makes sure the lights work and puts a Quater in your tires to see your tread height.
They do drive your car on to a pad and nail the brakes to make sure that the wheels stop at about the same time.
Safety inspection about 10 minutes. Longer if you have to get Smog tested. My Cutlass without Cats is exempt but My wife's 2.0 Neon has to get tested.
Sometimes they will actually look at their checklist and Fail your car but most of the time they let a lot slide. It depends on where you go.

307 Gutless

Apprentice
Jan 12, 2017
Utah
the 14x6 wheels will comfortably take either a 235 60 14 with just a little sidewall bulge and minor wheel rub up front IIRC as opposed to the 225 70 14 which would appear taller and narrower. Another olds rally wheel trick was to run the 14's up front and a pair of 15" Olds Rallys in the rear. The 15's are a wider 7inch rim which will take a 245 60 15 tire comfortably but appear identical to the fronts.
With the 2 series rear a taller rear tire would make the car even slower to drive though. What trans are you running ? Maybe keep an eye on craigslist for someone parting an SS. I sold my peg-leg 3.42 rear for $150 or so. Having a better ratio like the 3.42 would make a night and day difference driving your car. So much so that you may be able to lay a little rubber down... going around a corner... on a dusty road...
Just kidding.... but really a complete rear end with better gearing would really wake up the car and make a 307 feel pretty stout for little money.
I'm definately planning on the Rear end. I want to make this car a real beast. So I'll wait till I can afford Good Stuff.
I saw the Umi Kit for A body rear ends so I'm planning on getting a 12 Bolt Rear 3.73 Posi eventually. I'm keeping this car a Long time so I can wait. Right now it's got the TH200 3speed with a 3000rpm Shift Governor. It's about the Most Piggly of a set-up you can get. But good things will come. I'll be replacing the Full drivetrain as I can afford to.

I won't be slamming it down on the freeway anymore either. Never used tires again.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Your information its good butyou will soon find yourself on new social site lulter.com

Lulter is new social site from Slovakia where you can find information about everything and you can present your projects and make money on them

Are you looking for a new opportunity? You will find it here

www.lulter.com
uh no. go away.

• Agree

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Guess that moroon don't relize this isn't an add board fom scam sites. WTF does a that have to do with a tire...:rant:
Is there filters to stop this?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

grandamman

G-Body Guru
Nov 7, 2005
up in the hills
307 Gutless, do you still have the bad Cutlass Rally wheel, and are you willing to ship it?
We have an old hay wagon with three wheels just like it.
It would just be nice if they all matched.

I second checking the date codes on all your tires.
Even "new" tires can be a couple years old by the time they are sold

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
uh no. go away.

Guess that moroon don't relize this isn't an add board fom scam sites. WTF does a that have to do with a tire...:rant:
Is there filters to stop this?

Spam deleted. Anytime you guys see spam, report it just like several of you guys did. I, or one of the other moderators will delete it. Now, back to the thread.

• Winner

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Spam deleted. Anytime you guys see spam, report it just like several of you guys did. I, or one of the other moderators will delete it. Now, back to the thread.
Thanks Chris. It's good of you to contribute to this great site.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor