Extended rear wheels studs replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olgambler84

Apprentice
Dec 26, 2018
Any clues on what should be done, what needs to be taken apart so I can hammer in my app extended wheel studs. Still have drums

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I'm going to say the easiest way would be to pull the diff cover, cross bolt and c-clips, slide the axles out, and do it on a press if you have access to one. Otherwise, I'm sure it can be done on the car, but I can't see it being much fun.

Reactions: 1 users

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
Depending how long they are, you may be able to remove the brake shoes and get them in from behind. I would also try to get a long lug nut and tighten them in slowly.

• Agree

Olgambler84

Apprentice
Dec 26, 2018
I'm going to say the easiest way would be to pull the diff cover, cross bolt and c-clips, slide the axles out, and do it on a press if you have access to one. Otherwise, I'm sure it can be done on the car, but I can't see it being much fun.

While the diff cover is off, any suggestions on what else I could/should do while it’s open?

Tuffregal83

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2016
Lockport, Il
I forgot what length have but was able to do it without pulling the axle
1556832778322497228641.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

shoedoos

Master Mechanic
Jul 3, 2012
Not that I have done this, but what if you drilled a hole in the backing plate so you could get the longer stud through from the back with a magnet/extension?

And don't drive the stud in.....draw it through the axle pad with a long/oversize socket/sleeve and the corresponding wheel nut.

In my imagination, you would only need a single hole in the backing plate then move the axle round to install each stud. Once complete get yourself a rubber plug and away you go....

Olgambler84

Apprentice
Dec 26, 2018
Not that I have done this, but what if you drilled a hole in the backing plate so you could get the longer stud through from the back with a magnet/extension?

And don't drive the stud in.....draw it through the axle pad with a long/oversize socket/sleeve and the corresponding wheel nut.

In my imagination, you would only need a single hole in the backing plate then move the axle round to install each stud. Once complete get yourself a rubber plug and away you go....

Thought about drilling the back plate but wanted to see if other ways were possible

Tuffregal83

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2016
Lockport, Il
Mines stick out an inch with lug but also, how did you go about it?
I think I had the brakes off pounded out the old ones with a hammer installed the new ones with a couple thick washers and ran old lug nut down to pull it tight you don't want to use the same lug nut for every stud Maybe do 1 lug nut for every two studs

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor