Exterior door handles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RICKDIZZLE

Greasemonkey
Sep 16, 2014
Friends, I picked up a set of exterior door handles from a shop that does custom engraving and chroming for my 85 Cutlass. I went to install them last night and found that the post that the linkage goes through is shapped different...it is straight vs mine being at about a 45 degree angle. I thought it was odd but figured id try to install and see if it would work...well the handle wont even fit in the opening of the door skin. There is no way to work it in to fit. In looking online..would appear these are for around a 78 Cutlass based on look...but I see almost everywhere sells them for ALL year g bodies...am I missing something here? As there is no way these will fit in the door. Anyone have any ideas?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Did you put the plastic door handle gasket on first?

RICKDIZZLE

Greasemonkey
Sep 16, 2014
Did you put the plastic door handle gasket on first?
Yes i did. Its like the opening/gap in the new handle is not wide enough to slide it in, as i cant push the handle in and up high enough to get the bottom portion to clear the door skin.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Maybe you can post some pictures of the issues you are having.
I bought aftermarket black handles for my Regal that fit pretty good but I also bought reproduction gaskets and they did not fit well so I ended up using my original gaskets.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Maybe you can post some pictures of the issues you are having.
I bought aftermarket black handles for my Regal that fit pretty good but I also bought reproduction gaskets and they did not fit well so I ended up using my original gaskets.
Pics from the OP would definitely help. You mentioned the repop gaskets not fitting well.... I was messing with my black handles and gaskets the other night and the gaskets I got from Mike's Montes seem iffy on fit. My OE ones are all cracked, so I will have to make the repops work.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
If your original handles are out do some side by side comparisons.
Dumb question but you are installing the correct side?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Pics from the OP would definitely help. You mentioned the repop gaskets not fitting well.... I was messing with my black handles and gaskets the other night and the gaskets I got from Mike's Montes seem iffy on fit. My OE ones are all cracked, so I will have to make the repops work.
I bought mine from Mike's if I remember correctly they just wouldn't wrap around the handle and stay, maybe get them warm first before installing them, I was in a hurry and my originals were in decent shape.

RICKDIZZLE

Greasemonkey
Sep 16, 2014
Trying to post pics...this is a side by side....old handle on left , new on right. See the difference in the rod hole location and the smaller "V" in the gap that would go into the door first.
20170923_223200.jpg

RICKDIZZLE

Greasemonkey
Sep 16, 2014
If your original handles are out do some side by side comparisons.
Dumb question but you are installing the correct side?
Yes correct side for sure...the handles are shaped different for sure...sorry for delay was having issue posting pic.

• Optimistic

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Definitely a different handle maybe those handles are for an older A-body.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor