HELP Exterior Trim!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cte069

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 8, 2019
Waco tx area
So just picking brains.. on windshield trim, door trim and other misc. thin exterior trim, sure someone has painted to color match, restore, or redo flat black? Sanded the chrome, or anadized black(?). If you hammered and dollied any dents in places, did you use filler to perfect the repair prior to painting? Just bouncing around ideals, that someone has probably already did. Is there any reason you can't treat it like regular car panel body work?Let me know your fix ( replacements parts add up) or process, results, tips and anything you might have done different.
Most of all show me your TRIM!!
(pun intended)
Pics would be cool!

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Reactions: 4 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Dude that's some awesome sick skills! Thanks for the link. I feel very humbled after looking at your work..

Thank you.
The process that’s outlined in the text and the pictures is what’s going to be required to straighten your trim. Just go slow, have a light touch, and check your work often. If you get too heavy handed with it, you’re going to stretch the metal beyond repair. (Ask me how I know, I over worked at least one piece that required scrapping and starting over).

Once you’ve got the trim straightened to the point where you’re happy with it, then you can start stepping up to progressively finer and finer grits of sandpaper. If you desire the chrome plated look again, you’d stop at around the 1500 grit point. By then it will be fine and smooth enough that you can switch to polishing rouges on a buffing wheel and polish to a high lustre.

Make no mistake, it is a very time consuming and laborious process, but if you have the perseverance and patience for it, you can save a ton of money in not paying someone else to do it.

Reactions: 2 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Dude that's some awesome sick skills! Thanks for the link. I feel very humbled after looking at your work..
It's all a big fake out. Rktpwrd just holds a camera over his body guy's shoulder and takes pics. Then takes all the credit himself for all that awesome work.

Nah!!!! Just kidding. He's got some awesome skills so when he quits his day job, he can make a living fixing up other people's cars.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

Cte069

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 8, 2019
Waco tx area
It's all a big fake out. Rktpwrd just holds a camera over his body guy's shoulder and takes pics. Then takes all the credit himself for all that awesome work.

Nah!!!! Just kidding. He's got some awesome skills so when he quits his day job, he can make a living fixing up other people's cars.
You think his awesome skills on the trim will cover this up. MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
IMG_20191219_161457.jpg

• Wow
  • Haha
  • Scared
Reactions: 5 users

Cte069

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 8, 2019
Waco tx area
If he had time and desire, I think he could fix that. Did you see the crap under his vinyl top when he started. Looked similar. Could have sworn it was a convertible.

Nah I focused on his trim fix. Didn't go through the whole build, however if he can do that with trim im sure he got the other no prob. You missed my joke or I worded it crappy. I meant you think his pretty brushed trim would cover that up and make it less noticeable...

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Nah I focused on his trim fix. Didn't go through the whole build, however if he can do that with trim im sure he got the other no prob. You missed my joke or I worded it crappy. I meant you think his pretty brushed trim would cover that up and make it less noticeable...
He has been known to make something blingy off to the side to distract you from his other crappy body work. :)

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Y’all talking about me???
:mrgreen::mrgreen:

29C7DEC2-8393-4F03-B17A-13D936590690.gif

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor