External Fuel Pump stopped humming...engine stall and no start

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
Troubleshooting, where do I start ?

By checking the voltage at the power wire at the external fuel pump ?

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Yes see if you have 12V at the pump. If not figure out why not. If yes then the pump crapped out.

Reactions: 2 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Those little Mr Gasket/Edelbrock pumps seldom last over a year or so. Reviews on them suck big time, and my boss had one on his Chevelle...lasted about a year.

I have used a pump made by Facet/Purolator several times, from 1981 all the way up til currently. They're more expensive, but quieter and lasted longer than I owned the cars they were on

Pic for reference, they make many versions of it...
FAC-480532.JPG

Reactions: 1 user

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
Yes see if you have 12V at the pump. If not figure out why not. If yes then the pump crapped out.
No power at fuel pump, powers on with wiring from the pump straight to the battery...

Fuel pump power wire runs to this aftermarket fuse box mounted on the passenger side front fender in the engine bay...

20220408_182635.jpg

The power wire bolted on the this fuse box has no voltage either...

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
Those little Mr Gasket/Edelbrock pumps seldom last over a year or so. Reviews on them suck big time, and my boss had one on his Chevelle...lasted about a year.

I have used a pump made by Facet/Purolator several times, from 1981 all the way up til currently. They're more expensive, but quieter and lasted longer than I owned the cars they were on

FAC-480532.JPG
I have an Edelbrock pump, bought it in October 2021... It's good, just no power to it..

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021

FAC-480532.JPG
I look into one of the references you mentioned.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Isn't that stud on the bottom of the fuse block where the battery hot is connected to it? Where is the other end of that wire connected?

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
IMO. you should consider replacing that mess with a single piece of 10 gauge wire with soldered connections and shrink tube.

Headed out for dinner with the wife, I'll look in again later. Hopefully someone can get you fixed up by then. I do wonder if the shorted wire killed a fusible ink.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor