Extra plug on alternator

Status
Not open for further replies.

stubnosebrock

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 5, 2012
Binghamton, NY
Anybody know what the extra plug on the alternator is for? Its 2 wires. One is a big hot wire from the starter, the other goes in the car harness somewhere. Just curious what this is for and if you need it for a 1 wire alternator. thanks

Dragonist

Master Mechanic
Dec 3, 2010
Dallas, Tx
really unaware of the other area your referring to, if you had a picture would help alot...But here's a picture of how i wired my alternator(this is the non 105 amp alternator but same concept)

IMAG0116.jpg

stubnosebrock

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 5, 2012
Binghamton, NY
Thanks for the schematic. It doesnt seem to show exactly what I have though. It shows 2 hot wires going in/out, but this plug im talking about has a bigger hot wire plus a smaller gauge wire. Do these cars have an external regulator that I dont see, or is it for something else?

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
stub rosebrock said:
Thanks for the schematic. It doesn't seem to show exactly what I have though. It shows 2 hot wires going in/out, but this plug i'm talking about has a bigger hot wire plus a smaller gauge wire. Do these cars have an external regulator that I don't see, or is it for something else?

On the schematic L is the brown wire that goes to the dash alternator light. and V is the larger red wire from the lug on the back. Both go the two wire connector. You need the resistance from the bulb in the dash to energise the field and get the alternator to charge. This type of alternator has a internal regulator. The schematic does show three wires the third one is the big battery wire that goes to the heavy lug on the back of the alternator. It's the same as the picture of the alternator in the previous post.

stubnosebrock

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 5, 2012
Binghamton, NY
On my plug, the larger wire goes back down to the starter hot terminal. Either way, the way I understand it is that its to help excite the alternator, which is what I needed to know. I was mainly concerned with being able to put an aftermarket 1 wire alternator on the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor