Extra wiring/fuse block

Status
Not open for further replies.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
I'm trying to get prepared for the wiring of the aerocoupe. I have a bunch of extra stuff like gauges, fuel pump, fans, cutouts, etc... that I want to wire up less hokie than my old Monte was. Basically I wanna get another fuse box and use that to power everything I'm adding to the car while the original fuse box powers all the factory stuff. That way there's no tapping into the original box and creating a nightmare. I would mount it in the glove box to make it a lot easier to get to.

What are you guys using and more importantly how are you wiring it up? My brain makes fart noises when it comes to wiring in relays and sh*t like that. How would I go about wiring up a separate fuse box that's hot with the key on and not risk burning the car to the ground?

Im thinking:
All my gauges
2 electric fans
2 exhaust cut outs
Ignition box
Fuel pump
Trans cooler fan
Radio, no subs or amp
Anything needed for my EFI
I'm sure there's a few more little things but that's the majority. Don't be afraid to talk to me like I'm an idiot. Like I said I'm a newb with this stuff. Thanks

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Might be more than you want but I used a K&R Performance wiring kit - mounted it in my glove box.

IMG_4104.JPG

IMG_4056.JPG

Reactions: 2 users

84_SS

Greasemonkey
Sep 17, 2015
Windsor, Ont
I picked up a fuse panel out of a third gen Camaro, already has relays and fuses in it. nice and compact and looks pretty much factory.

Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
There are a few different styles but this is basically what I used in my Monte with two main power 12 circuit panels I have one wired to battery power off an isolated power lead that goes to my remote starter solenoid and the other wired to ignition side, I am using 2 gauge fine strand welding cable to feed both these panels which are hidden under the dash panel on the passenger side.
I also have two additional 6 circuit panels one is in the trunk and runs the fuel pump and nitrous heater directly off the battery and the other is mounted to the inside firewall above the passengers feet which can be seen in this video.@ 1.40 min.
images

I have relays mounted for any high amp accessories that go to these fuse panels and my original fuse panel is still in tact and powers everything that it did from the factory except for the power seats which are now on an auxiliary panel.
Most of my main power wires are 1/0 fine strand welding cable including the power for my 180 amp DC Power alternator so my voltage drop over any given footage is next to nothing.
As with most stuff on my car my wiring sizes could be considered overkill but when the car is running using the MSD, dual electric fans, trans fan, water pump, stereo etc. I will still have 14+ volts which makes the car run that much better (MSD loves extra voltage)

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 2 users

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
There are a few different styles but this is basically what I used in my Monte with two main power 12 circuit panels I have one wired to battery power off an isolated power lead that goes to my remote starter solenoid and the other wired to ignition side, I am using 2 gauge fine strand welding cable to feed both these panels which are hidden under the dash panel on the passenger side.
I also have two additional 6 circuit panels one is in the trunk and runs the fuel pump and nitrous heater directly off the battery and the other is mounted to the inside firewall above the passengers feet which can be seen in this video.@ 1.40 min.
images

I have relays mounted for any high amp accessories that go to these fuse panels and my original fuse panel is still in tact and powers everything that it did from the factory except for the power seats which are now on an auxiliary panel.
Most of my main power wires are 1/0 fine strand welding cable including the power for my 180 amp DC Power alternator so my voltage drop over any given footage is next to nothing.
As with most stuff on my car my wiring sizes could be considered overkill but when the car is running using the MSD, dual electric fans, trans fan, water pump, stereo etc. I will still have 14+ volts which makes the car run that much better (MSD loves extra voltage)
Thanks for the info. Those little aftermarket blocks are what I have been thinking about. I'd have to find one with all the circuits I need.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
You would be surprised just how many circuits you can end up using both of my 12 circuit panels are full, I personally like having them split up into smaller panels that way I can locate a fuse panel near the accessories it will be running, it saves from running long wires to get to something plus it gives you more mounting options because of their smaller size.

• Agree

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
You might look into an LT1 B-body underhood box. Has 4 Maxi fuse slots, 9 regular fuse slots, 5 relays, and has a stud to connect to battery cable.....and they're cheap at salvage yards

fuse_block_800.jpg

Photo via LT1swap.com

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
I did the f-body fuse/relay box under the hood. I have a bunch of pics and part numbers in my thread, looks factory when done correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor