EXTREMELY WEIRD DROP KIT??

Irishspring46

Greasemonkey
Sep 14, 2022
So I got 2 inch drop springs from umi and shortened shocks. I put one drop spring in on my passenger side and shock and lowered the car to see how it looks. Well it didn’t drop? It doesn’t make sense to me. The passenger side shock is physically shorter so why isn’t it sitting lopsided? I measured and both sides are basically the same height? The new drop spring is stiffer

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Finish the driver's side install and then see where it sits.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
These cars are so old at this point most of the time the springs have sagged out to the point that they are at the same height drop springs already. In extreme cases installing drop springs can actually raise the car higher than what it was with the original sagging springs.

• Agree
Reactions: 7 users

Irishspring46

Greasemonkey
Sep 14, 2022
These cars are so old at this point most of the time the springs have sagged out to the point that they are at the same height drop springs already. In extreme cases installing drop springs can actually raise the car higher than what it was with the original sagging springs.
Hopefully that isn’t the case for me. The car never looked to be sagging, if anything it always seemed to sit very high

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Don't forget to loosen the control arm bushing bolts to allow the suspension to settle before re-tightening. While this shouldn't make the car lower, it will take the preload out of the bushings, which can shorten the life of the bushings if not done. In extreme cases, tightening the bolts without the weight on the suspension can actually "hold" the car up

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Irishspring46

Greasemonkey
Sep 14, 2022
Don't forget to loosen the control arm bushing bolts to allow the suspension to settle before re-tightening. While this shouldn't make the car lower, it will take the preload out of the bushings, which can shorten the life of the bushings if not done. In extreme cases, tightening the bolts without the weight on the suspension can actually "hold" the car up
Pretty sure we made the mistake of not putting the lower part of the coil spring between the 2 holes on the A arm. Maybe that’s what’s holding it up?

Reactions: 1 users

Irishspring46

Greasemonkey
Sep 14, 2022
yes, that will make it sit higher than it should. Sometimes takes a couple of tries for me to get it in the right place.
Yep it was the wrong way I didn’t switch it around yet I’ve been trying to get the other side in but I can’t get the damn spring in. Might have to get a spring compressor

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
I never thought of this. I can’t believe it.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor