F 41 suspension upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.

ck1984

Apprentice
Sep 19, 2021
according to my vin I already have the F41 upgrade, which i gather is;
1. those front frame to crossmember braces?
2. an added rear sway bar
3. thicker front sway bar
4. and as per vin; F41 (SUSPENSION,FIRM RIDE HANDLING,FRONT AND REAR), I assume that also means higher rate springs?

Corrrect me if im wrong.

So if that being the case what are the obvious suspension ride and handling upgrades?

another thread mention boxed in brace connecting front frame rails?
same thread also mentions a similar brace or hitch in back?

what else?

Ive already replaced rear shocks with monroe sensatracs and fronts with ACDelco 520-179 Advantage Gas Charged

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
"Correct Me If I Wrong" You men your SPID label not your VIN. VINS do not have that info on them. I added a home made rear bar, rear LCA brace to UCA brace upper shock frame bar. I felt the change with these additions.

Attachments

• RearShockFrameStiffner (14).jpg
    RearShockFrameStiffner (14).jpg
    346.6 KB · Views: 125
  • Rear Frame Brace (8).jpg
    Rear Frame Brace (8).jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 131
  • Rear Frame Braces (5).JPG
    Rear Frame Braces (5).JPG
    165.6 KB · Views: 137
  • Informative
Reactions: 2 users

88AZSS

Master Mechanic
Mar 13, 2018
Mesa, AZ
There is also:

"Grand Prix bar" which ties the front rails together. Found on Grand Prixs and can be used with the F41 jounce bars you have now.
Fender to Radiator Support bars, not sure what these came on stock. My 87 Monte SS did not have them originally.
Radiator X Cross bars. Sits ahead of radiator on support. Found on Buicks I believe.
X Brace behind rear seat. I believe this was a Grand National thing but there are plenty AM options now.

All of these plus the above mentioned items are easily added and make a world of difference.

• Informative

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
according to my vin I already have the F41 upgrade, which i gather is;
1. those front frame to crossmember braces?
2. an added rear sway bar
3. thicker front sway bar
4. and as per vin; F41 (SUSPENSION,FIRM RIDE HANDLING,FRONT AND REAR), I assume that also means higher rate springs?

Corrrect me if im wrong.

So if that being the case what are the obvious suspension ride and handling upgrades?

another thread mention boxed in brace connecting front frame rails?
same thread also mentions a similar brace or hitch in back?

what else?

Ive already replaced rear shocks with monroe sensatracs and fronts with ACDelco 520-179 Advantage Gas Charged
you're also forgetting the underhood stuff like; firewall to fender, and, fender to core support braces.

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
??? How exactly does the VIN verify RPO F41 on (I'm assuming) a Brougham? The only thing the 84 VIN can tell you is the manufacturing country, manufacturer, model/car line, seat belt type, engine type, and manufacturing plant. Along with the plant sequencing number.

You either have it or you don't. And it's not standard on any Olds G-body in 84 unless you have a Calais. The only way you can tell if F41 is on your 84 Olds G-body from the VIN is if you see K47 in the VIN. It appeared only when the Y78 RPO "option" for Calais is checked on the dealer ordering sheet. It actually changed the VIN to reflect Calais. While the VIN doesn't explicitly say you have F41, it's simply deduced that it does because F41 is included with Calais.

The F41 consisted of a tad stiffer spring rates, faster rate steering box, HD shocks (Hurst/Olds had Air Shocks in rear for 84), and the sway bars as you mentioned.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor