LT1 swap update - split loom install

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
i know i'll burn in forth gen hell, but it looks like a great repurpose to me.

• Agree
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
i know i'll burn in forth gen hell, but it looks like a great repurpose to me.
Except for the 98-02 firebirds, especially the ws6, 4th Gen fbodies are hell.

Here's to hoping you don't accidentally sit in one that spontaneously combusts

Reactions: 1 users

JD1964

Master Mechanic
Dec 31, 2014

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
The LT1 gets knocked by people all the time because it isn't an LS. But stock LS1 vs stock LT1 is about equal. If anything, the LT1 makes more low end torque. Its probably one of the best bangs for the buck these days as no one wants them and they can be picked up dirt cheap.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
My daughter's '95 Firebird Formula had intermittent no-start issues. It was finally parked for a year and that is when the fuel pump seized up for good. It was an easy fix after cutting a hole in the rear deck right above the gas tank. So if you just want to get it running right now that is the way to go. While the engine is out is a great time to look at the Opti-Spark ignition system. They are failure prone and impossible to work on in the car. The water pump tends to leak and drip onto the distributor killing it. '95 and up used an intake vacuum routed vent to dry the inside. It's a good upgrade after taking it apart and re-sealing the distributor cover "O" ring seal. Also the rotor gets loose and hits things. Loktite-ing the rotor screws is good insurance.

Reactions: 2 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
In order to upgrade to the vented Opti, you also need to swap in a 95 only timing cover. Good optis are hard to come by these days but you can do a 24x swap. I put an AC Delco in my 93 back in 2014 and haven't had any issues with it. *knocks on wood*

Reactions: 1 user

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
Some cars never had issues with the Opti. My father had a 94 Z28 he bought new. He drove it for 8+ years and about 80k miles and never had a problem with the Opti. Not that other areas on the car weren't problem prone.

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
Some cars never had issues with the Opti. My father had a 94 Z28 he bought new. He drove it for 8+ years and about 80k miles and never had a problem with the Opti. Not that other areas on the car weren't problem prone.
yes, the opti has a bad rep, but i put over 220k on my factory unit with no issue in spite of a leaking, peeing, water pump.

JD1964

Master Mechanic
Dec 31, 2014
Thanks for the heads up on the opti. I am familiar with them. Lack of maintenance is the main thing that leads to problems I think. Ignition misfires will hurt the opti too. Something as simple as not replacing the dist cap can cause a failure. Carbon tracking under the cap is hard to spot. I’d say replacing the cap is more important than the plugs and wires on theses LT1 engines.

JD1964

Master Mechanic
Dec 31, 2014
On the rear diff parts interchangeability I have a question. The current rear in the wagon is a 3.73 from a Monte SS. It’s a posi but the clutches are worn from doing abusive donuts.

Are the side gears in the Monte diff the same as the 94 f body? That way I could swap the side gears and run with my current 26 spline axels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor