F.I. tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

justdandy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 20, 2022
Just putting the finishing touches on my '84 elky, base model. We have a 400 SB with Fitech tbi, 700R4, 3.11 posi, and rear sway bar just for fun.
The issue is the stock fuel tank. A 17 gallon midget. With the in tank FI pump I need baffles in the tank. I've been looking for an 86-87 Caballero with the 4.3 FI motor tank. It would have the correct tank with baffles.

I can't seem to find one though. does anyone know if an A body coupe tank would fit then be from an FI car with an in tank pump.,

ANY HELP IS GLADLY APPRECIATED. thanks

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa

JohnIL

Greasemonkey
Sep 9, 2020
Central Illinois
I don't know how it would compare pricewise, but I used an Aeromotive pump in our '83 El Camino's stock tank. The pump comes with a "baffle" foam cup that is supposed to prevent fuel starvation. Not sure how well it would work at extremely low fuel levels in a hard take off, but it seems to be good under normal street driving conditions.

Reactions: 1 user

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
I used a fuel tank from a 91-96 caprice wagon. El camino fuel tank straps work, but i used the caprice straps. For a filler neck i used one from a 91-96 caprice sedan.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
OE style EFI tanks are just a click away, and no worries about pre-existing corrosion....

• Useful
Reactions: 3 users

JohnIL

Greasemonkey
Sep 9, 2020
Central Illinois
OE style EFI tanks are just a click away, and no worries about pre-existing corrosion....

Out of curiosity, what kind of fuel pump did the 4.3 EFI engines use from the factory? Were they in-tank, like modern vehicles or where they some sort of external "puller" pump? If we ever have to replace our factory tank, it's good to know what the options are. Thanks.

John

Reactions: 1 user

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Out of curiosity, what kind of fuel pump did the 4.3 EFI engines use from the factory? Were they in-tank, like modern vehicles or where they some sort of external "puller" pump? If we ever have to replace our factory tank, it's good to know what the options are. Thanks.

John
The 4.3 EFI Engine was a TBI set up and used an in-tank pump. Although fuel pressure was lower for TBI you can use the factory hanger and swap out the pump with a modern pump. Same situation for GMT400 trucks that had TBI.

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor